This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand entrance frustration

Started by Christopher Denzer, June 19, 2017 · 7 Replies · 223 Views

Christopher Denzer

Hi everyone:

 

I've been doing HS1 for a year now and can just now get into a free standing handstand, held for around 10 seconds x 5. I'd be happy to live there for a good long time and work on locking my elbows and holding PPT, but my main frustration is consistently being able to GET INTO THE DAMN HANDSTAND. I usually enter it from a crouch on the floor, lock my arms, lean forward, hop lightly and raise my legs bent together and then extended. It takes me a good 3-4 attempts before I manage to find a hold. Does anyone have any good cues that have helped them get into the freestanding handstand?

Jon Douglas

I do ye ole basic step, hands to ground, get back leg up to near straight as early as possible then bring the other to meet it and press just the end to HS. 

The cue that proved the tipping point for my HS was feeling and focusing on the position of my upper back, and concentrating on getting the line of my spine perpendicular to the ground. Once that locks in, the rest of the body can be aligned above it. For me this helped get the better trap engagement and strong protraction to control a hs rather than inconsistence.

Just the same, the earlier I can hit this alignment with my upper body and lock it in the easier it is to find my body line, and if I don't quite reach it immediately it gives me the base/leeway to press from to find it.

Jeremy Huston

I do sort of a one-legged hop to handstand. Think of a really bad "splits press to handstand"

I start in a crouch with 1 foot and 2 hands on the ground. I get good protraction, slightly lean my shoulders forward until I feel my upper back engage, extend the other leg up and gently hop the foot that is still on the ground. For hop, I really think of getting my hips UP. Once I feel balance, I gently pull my feet together.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jeremy Huston,

Can you send a video for us take a closer look please. Yes it can be frustrating when you are attempting a handstand and failing and can also be tiring. My suggestion is to send a video of handstand attempts so we can see a clearer picture to be able to help you more. :)

Andrei Grigoriev
On 6/20/2017 at 5:20 AM, Jon Douglas said:

I do ye ole basic step, hands to ground, get back leg up to near straight as early as possible then bring the other to meet it and press just the end to HS. 

The cue that proved the tipping point for my HS was feeling and focusing on the position of my upper back, and concentrating on getting the line of my spine perpendicular to the ground. Once that locks in, the rest of the body can be aligned above it. For me this helped get the better trap engagement and strong protraction to control a hs rather than inconsistence.

Just the same, the earlier I can hit this alignment with my upper body and lock it in the easier it is to find my body line, and if I don't quite reach it immediately it gives me the base/leeway to press from to find it.

John,

I wonder Do you keep your arms overhead and maintain full shoulder flexion throughout the entire movement ? I ask because it seems to me if you maintain full shoulder flexion during gymnastics kick up there's no leverage to enable pressing, to be able to press at the top of the movement I think you have to break the shoulder angle when you reach with your arms to floor at the beginning of the movement?

I 

Jon Douglas

Yes, shoulders are a little closed there. Not a lot, but a little. For me it's important to set the core tight before kicking up also, otherwise I tend to lose tension and arch some, wasting energy fixing it. 

Andrei Grigoriev
33 minutes ago, Jon Douglas said:

Yes, shoulders are a little closed there. . 

Do you close the shoulders on purpose to make it easier to control the movement ? 

Jon Douglas

No. I just kick up then get to alignment asap.