This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Narrow hurdler form check

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, June 19, 2017 · 4 Replies · 192 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello guys!

I've been performing all the series (front, middle, thoracic bridge), and I've been experimenting some issues on certain exercises.

Regarding the front split series, the main issue is about the hurdler stretches. I usually put a block under my butt for some months, however if I try to put away the block I feel quite uncomfortable. I realized My leg and foot turns to the side.

Here's my narrow hurdler, from front and side view. Firstly done with block under butt, then with no block.

A similar issue is also in the wide hurdler variation: more pronounced with left leg extended, I feel more comfortable with right leg straight. 

Where is the issue? Maybe is it due to tight groin/quads? I've been performing middle split too, but it seems I have a decent mobility on this muscles... at least I think so.

What can I do in order to fix this and be able to put away once for all the block? 

Thank you All!

Alessandro

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

The tendency of turning to the side can be a consequence of many factor, tight quads tend on the bend side leg tend to create a rotation of the hip, also tight short head hamstring tend to externally rotate the lower part of the leg and also glutes tend to externally rotate the leg.

Generally speaking the quad it is the main factor.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The tendency of turning to the side can be a consequence of many factor, tight quads tend on the bend side leg tend to create a rotation of the hip, also tight short head hamstring tend to externally rotate the lower part of the leg and also glutes tend to externally rotate the leg.

Generally speaking the quad it is the main factor.

Thank you for the explanation @Alessandro Mainente! I feel head hamstring as the shorter muscle of the ones you mentioned, but I will check my quads and glutes too!

Thanks again!

Alessandro 

Darwin Jose

Hi Alessandro (Mainente), 

On 6/19/2017 at 8:36 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The tendency of turning to the side can be a consequence of many factor, tight quads tend on the bend side leg tend to create a rotation of the hip, also tight short head hamstring tend to externally rotate the lower part of the leg and also glutes tend to externally rotate the leg.

Generally speaking the quad it is the main factor.

I have the same issue with this stretch. One thing that I'm not clear on, should I continue to use a block? How can I regress or adjust to avoid falling to the side or knee pain with the narrow and wide hurdlers? 

 

Thanks,

 

Darwin 

Alessandro Mainente

You should be able to reduce the tendency to fall if you put something only under the side of the extended knee (for the seated variation) where the tendency to fall to the side is higher.