This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Push ups

Started by Ibrahim Munshi, June 18, 2017 · 4 Replies · 259 Views

Ibrahim Munshi

HBP/PE2 push ups 

starting position for push ups for scapula is protracted and hollow chest when I want to bring chest as close to floor as possible what should be the scapula position ?

should I depress and retract it ? 

I get pain near front deltoid while pushing up the floor 

Alessandro Mainente

Let them move naturally in order to reach the floor while holding the depression, DO NOT force the protraction in the bottom position.

Matthias Schwartz

Ibrahim, your scapula should retract as you get closer to the floor. While shoulder protraction at the very top is healthy, the hollow chest position is to be avoided when doing pushups or dips as it places your humerus in the front of the shoulder socket, which is an unstable position and invites a host of problems when training chronically this way. Your shoulder is most stable at the rear of the socket. I believe Kelly Starrett and carl Paoli still have some great videos on youtube about shoulder retraction and position in pushups.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 6/18/2017 at 5:27 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Let them move naturally in order to reach the floor while holding the depression, DO NOT force the protraction in the bottom position.

Adding to the above and since it pertains to the mastery standard used with the course.

1. Top position: Shoulder blades- Protracted depressed. Upper Arm rotation: Externally rotated (elbows remain close to your sides) as much as you can (This forces your body to develop your triceps slightly more than your chest.)

2. Bottom position: Shoulder blades- As stated in Alessandro's post quoted above... Depressed and retracted. Upper Arm rotation- Externally rotated. (If your shoulder blades are retracted at the bottom position your upper arm should naturally externally rotate.)

Personally speaking and for push up (General and pseudo planche variations) Before starting a set. I set up my body positioning while in the bottom push up position. 

 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

Adding to the above and since it pertains to the mastery standard used with the course.

1. Top position: Shoulder blades- Protracted depressed. Upper Arm rotation: Externally rotated (elbows remain close to your sides) as much as you can (This forces your body to develop your triceps slightly more than your chest.)

2. Bottom position: Shoulder blades- As stated in Alessandro's post quoted above... Depressed and retracted. Upper Arm rotation- Externally rotated. (If your shoulder blades are retracted at the bottom position your upper arm should naturally externally rotate.)

I would not ray completely retracted, I would say neutral it is the best position.