This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Getting out of the bridge

Started by Tomas Johansson, June 17, 2017 · 12 Replies · 182 Views

Tomas Johansson

I train alone so no spotter.

I feel I am not able to push the bridge holds, I need to save enough strength to be able to get down safely without crashing into my head. I'm not very strong in these positions, partly because of an old injury in my wrist.

Any clever ideas of how to get down so I can push the holds a bit further?

Suzanna McGee

I use a thick rubber band hooked around my waist (and up on the stall bars). It helps me to get up (until I get strong enough to get up without the band), I do my thing in the top position (push ups, taps, etc), and then the band helps me a bit when I go slowly down… 

 

Thoracic bridge April 30.JPG

Tomas Johansson

Nice idea! I will give it a go!

Tomas Johansson

This is my current form but after 30-40 seconds I'm so tired I'm pretty much done for the day so being able to work with bands might help a lot.

Screenshot_20170615-200607.png

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Tomas Johansson said:

Any clever ideas of how to get down so I can push the holds a bit further?

Reduce the intensity by bending your knees and/or placing your feet wider apart. Suzanna's band suggestion will also reduce the intensity so give it a shot. 

Jennifer Slowikowski

I'm stronger in handstand than bridge (perhaps simply from practicing that a lot longer) so I walk up the stall bars and kick through a hand stand. I trust that kick through more than I trust lowering myself down in that arched bridge position. 

Tanya Hill

Jennifer's way of getting out of the bridge is one way.

However, I would work a slow negative, tuck the chin, bend the elbows and work your negative. This will be a good prep for the Bridge Push-Ups Coach has in the course. 

Jennifer Slowikowski

I like the negative idea, but I'm very wary of my neck. Would handstand push up negatives be okay scaling until I'm more comfortable moving my arms in bridge? Or is the shoulder extension different enough between the two that it wouldn't translate as well as I'm hoping? I'm thinking probably the latter since I can shoulder tap in handstand and not bridge! (But it never hurts to ask)

 

Thanks!

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jennifer Slowikowski,

Yes it would be a great idea to build up strength through the Foundation Courses and Handstand One. That is why is very important to have a holistic program so that you need not worry about exiting because your body is strong enough and well prepared enough for the movement. :)

Tomas Johansson

Tried kicking out today, worked great! Thanks Jennifer!

Jennifer Slowikowski

Very welcome Tomas! 

I tried some negatives yesterday. Keeping in mind Tanya's reminder to tuck the chin gave me a little more comfort that if I dropped too fast, it wouldn't be so jarring on the neck.

I also tried the band Suzanna showed, but it slid down my butt once I was up, so it didn't help getting out of the bridge. It did make my up a little smoother though, so it felt more natural and controlled.

This has been a very helpful thread. Thank you everyone!

Suzanna McGee
8 hours ago, Jennifer Marie said:

I also tried the band Suzanna showed, but it slid down my butt once I was up, so it didn't help getting out of the bridge. It did make my up a little smoother though, so it felt more natural and controlled.

Yes, it does slide to the butt often. Which is fine while being in the bridge (less help from the band). And then going down I go really slow and work on that negative. Band or not band, it seems easier to go down than up  :-) 

Jennifer Marie
22 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Yes, it does slide to the butt often. Which is fine while being in the bridge (less help from the band). And then going down I go really slow and work on that negative. Band or not band, it seems easier to go down than up  :-) 

Agreed, down is definitely easier than up!