This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS Missing Super-Power

Started by Bill Marr, June 17, 2017 · 4 Replies · 161 Views

Bill Marr

Having worked in HS now for several months, it is obvious there are two critical aspects to HS training: shoulder mobility and posterior pelvic tilt (PPT). I am presently on PE4 (Flexion Weighted Bar). I'm on Step 9 and expect to be parked here for some time as my shoulder mobility needs to improve drastically. But the Super-Power I allude to is PPT. The ability to conjure up PPT on demand, whether that be in a headstand, doing FL work, or working the flexion weighted bar. 

I can pretty much keep PPT through HS PE4 for the full 30 seconds for five sets with moderate weight (6 - 7 lbs). I notice I tend to lose it when I really point my toes. Just like I notice PPT slipping away in the last 10 seconds of FL holds and rocks.

Checking ahead in the HS curriculum, from PE9 - PE12 there are specific PPT iM drills. Given the importance of PPT, might it be wise to start incorporating some of these into my workouts before getting to those levels? Since I will be at PE4 for a while anyways due to the need to improve shoulder mobility, I though this might be a way to kill the two HS critical aspects with one stone -- and to begin to master PPT so as to reap that benefit everywhere else it comes into play.

Thoughts?

Everett Carroll
2 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

Given the importance of PPT, might it be wise to start incorporating some of these into my workouts before getting to those levels?

Without a doubt! This is a great way to begin preparing for future HS work. In fact, Coach recommends working on more advanced iM's, as long as they can be performed properly. Just be sure you wait to work on more advanced PE's until you have reached them in your progression.  

Tobias Karlsson

I got this advice from Everett a few days ago. And now I am doing the PPT mobility drills as often as I can. In these few days I have seen great improves mostly do to the fact that my brain is now better and keeping my pelvis under control. So to some extent i think doing the PPT mobility will give you super powers!

Nicholas Murray

+1. Maybe I should hook a bungee strap from my groin to my collar bone. In PE6, I can feel the banana happening, and it's SO DIFFICULT to figure out how to PPT when upside down!

Everett Carroll

@Nicholas Murray Keep working on the iM drills from PE9 and above. Handstand training requires lots of practice and refinement so just keep at it regularly. Also be sure you are keeping up with your Foundation training, specifically the core workout. The positions and strength developed there are key to being able to maintain proper shape in a handstand.