This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

elevated bridge - not comfortable with the handstand

Started by Nina Madsen, June 16, 2017 · 4 Replies · 97 Views

Nina Madsen

Hi all :)

I got the bridge stretching series since I have ignored my bridge (and shoulders) for some 25+ years. I started the TB stretch last week and have just finished my second exercise of this today.

I can participate in most of the exercises at a reasonable level, but not the elevated bridge/handstand work. I have some issues with my right wrist not being as flexible as the left wrist, and generally not being flexible enough for having weight on it when extended as it will be in a bridge/handstand.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with this sort of situation?

Further info: I am enrolled in the handstand course and doing the 4 wrist stretches as part of my daily limber.

Thank you for reading this :-)

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Nina, generally if there are tissues limitations they can be fixed with......patience and time. trust me.

If you have bones and joint space limitation they must be diagnosed by a X-ray exam. For example, on me, I notice that without a decent warm up the following days my wrists hurt a bit.

Nina Madsen

Thank you for your reply Alessandro. 

I believe that with patience I can work it out. Might take half a year maybe more if I shall guess.

I am looking for some exercise(s) to do at the end of the bridge stretch, as a substitute for the handstand/bridge work. Or alternatives.

I am in for the long haul. As a teenager this level of flexibility took me 2-3 years, never got the middle split though. So I suspect it might take a little longer this time ;)

I am hooked on the idea of having found a program that I believe can take me there, a little every week. Cheers Coach!

Suzanna McGee
7 hours ago, Nina Madsen said:

I am looking for some exercise(s) to do at the end of the bridge stretch, as a substitute for the handstand/bridge work. Or alternatives.

I used to do the standing version in the beginning of my journey (you'll find the modifications in your course library). That should put much less stress on your hands, and you can do at least something. 

Nina Madsen

Thank you Suzanna :)

I will be sure to check the course library for some standing variations before next weeks exercise !

Cheers!