This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation 1 - Vacation

Started by Ananda Aisola, June 15, 2017 · 7 Replies · 140 Views

Ananda Aisola

Hi,

I have been making good progress on Foundation 1 over the last few months. However as of next week I will be going on vacation for 5 weeks with no access to a gym. Most of the exercises are doable at home. However, there are a couple that require equipment namely the: Jefferson Curl and Ground Rows.

Are there any exercises that I can do instead of these that don't require equipment but provide the same benefit? I want to make sure that my progress continues.

Thanks,

Ananda

Darin Phoenix

Hi,

It's great to hear that you will continue your training whilst enjoying a holiday. In regards to the exercises that you mentioned instead of substituting the exercises, I would look for a way to complete them with some different equipment. For example, ground rows could be done supported under a dining table, or on a bar at a playground. Anything that will allow you to replicate the same range and plane of motion.

For Jefferson curls you simply need something to safely stand on a weighted object to hold onto that is not too bulky. Even completing these without weight should allow you to maintain your current level whilst on holiday. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Ananda,

Thank you for reaching out and great questions. 

I highly recommend to take a pair of rings with you on vacation. These can be attached to a tree or monkey bars so you can still enjoy your training outdoors. If you don't have a pair of rings with you, you can find a low bar to perform inverted rows. 

For the Jefferson curls you can stand on an elevated surface and use a heavy item as a bag to replace the weight. 

Ananda Aisola

Thanks for the tips guys. A couple of follow up questions:

1. At present I can't even touch my toes doing the Jefferson Curls. Do I still need to stand on a block or will the ground suffice?

2. Pauline, is there any particular brand of rings that you recommend for travel?

Thanks,

Ananda

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Amanda,

At your current level, you are welcome to do your Jefferson Curls standing on the ground. Eventually you will need to stand on a raised surface so that you can stretch down until your wrists are at foot level.

Our GB Xtreme Rings work great for travel. Here is a link: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gear/ 

Ananda Aisola

Thanks Jeffrey. Unfortunately I live in Canada so can't order them here. I will look for alternatives.

Luke Searra

There might be alternatives through GB in Canada in the future, but until then check out amazon or google: Gymnastic rings

Étienne Lajeunesse
8 hours ago, Ananda Aisola said:

Thanks Jeffrey. Unfortunately I live in Canada so can't order them here. I will look for alternatives.

Hi Ananda,

I live too in Canada and ordered rings on amazon 3 years ago.  Still in very good shape and always in my gym bag!

Take a look :

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0031QCS8C/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1