This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE2 Forever?

Started by Bill Marr, June 14, 2017 · 17 Replies · 482 Views

Bill Marr

I'm part of the apparently large HBP PE2 Forever Club. I do UB twice a week, HS1 3 times per week and have been on this PE for an eternity (it would be great if there was a way of quickly accessing the amount of time spent on each step for reference purposes!). This morning I did Step 8. I am able to do a solid 15 reps for the first three sets but only 10 in the fourth with good form. I subsequently did an additional three sets of 8, 7 & 6 reps with good form and little rest in between. I am likely a couple of weeks away of finally getting to Step 9. By my 59th birthday next month, I need to crack this nut!

My question is this: not knowing the curriculum of HS2, would adding HS2 help in progressing through the HBP module? Would HS2 also have a bonus effect on RC, the other module lagging in my overall GST (and from what I read, many others)?

Everett Carroll

Hey Bill,

Great questions!

As a whole, I find that my handstand two (press handstand) progress is a great indicator of my overall strength, progress, and even fatigue levels. I know for a fact it's helped my rock climbing and RC training, along with every other area of GST.

The press handstand training is more beneficial for foundational elements like sPl, but I still highly recommend it. It is 100% necessary for long-term, overall advancement. It certainly helps with back strength so HBP and RC training surely benefit, as long as your recovery is adequate, of course. 

Bill Marr

Thanks, Everett. Getting to be time to invest in HS2. I understand on the programming side, HS1 and HS2 are integrated together in a daily workout. True?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Bill Marr,

Yes you are correct. You can train both Handstand One and Handstand Two together with your Foundation Courses. :)

Benjamin Renaud
17 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

(it would be great if there was a way of quickly accessing the amount of time spent on each step for reference purposes!)

I thought the same thing when I tried to figure out how long exactly I spent on a certain step. I guess its easier for me because I only started recently. I have been writing down when I move up a step since last move up in HBP for future reference, but it would be nice if the program interface recorded that for us.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Complete your handstand training twice a week. Three times per week may be hindering your Foundation one progress.  Your core strength, in general, as it becomes stronger will help make things easier.

Janno Rillo

 

4 hours ago, Benjamin Renaud said:

I thought the same thing when I tried to figure out how long exactly I spent on a certain step. I guess its easier for me because I only started recently. I have been writing down when I move up a step since last move up in HBP for future reference, but it would be nice if the program interface recorded that for us.

I also support the idea. I'm currently keeping a log in Excel file, and it gives a good overview on where I'm good and helps to prioritize which areas need more work and attention (I move those exercises first in my workout, or do more frequently). I think it would be a good tool also for forum coaches for identifying who has really plateaud and who is just impatient.

Suzanna McGee

@Bill Marr, @Benjamin Renaud, @Janno Rillo… maybe you are not aware, but if you go to your workout history, and click on a certain calendar day, your workout will pop out, with the progressions and your notes. There you can see how long have you been working on what progression… (example below). I sometimes like to go back and see how long I have been "stuck" on certain exercises and to read my notes... It's quite entertaining… 

 

GST history example.png

Janno Rillo
4 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Bill Marr, @Benjamin Renaud, @Janno Rillo… maybe you are not aware, but if you go to your workout history, and click on a certain calendar day, your workout will pop out, with the progressions and your notes. There you can see how long have you been working on what progression… (example below). I sometimes like to go back and see how long I have been "stuck" on certain exercises and to read my notes... It's quite entertaining… 

 

GST history example.png

I'm sorry, but where exactly do you see the lenght of time you have been stuck on some specific progression level? I have used this view for my Excel overview by click through all the previous workouts to identify the dates when I moved up on some progressions, but is there a better way to do it?

Benjamin Nutt

Anyone else have advice for busting through this plateau, aside from practicing H2? I also do UB twice per week. I've made great progress on all the F1 elements *except* for HBP and RC, both of which are stuck on PE2 (5*12r for push ups, 5*10r for rows).

Suzanna McGee
7 hours ago, Janno Rillo said:

I'm sorry, but where exactly do you see the lenght of time you have been stuck on some specific progression level? I have used this view for my Excel overview by click through all the previous workouts to identify the dates when I moved up on some progressions, but is there a better way to do it?

Not a simple way. I just browse back, click on the days (while being entertained my my notes) and find the day when I started a certain progression. Your excel sheet is definitely more efficient. 

Benjamin Renaud

@Suzanna McGee Thanks, I thought I had checked workout history for that kind of info and couldn't find it. I guess I didn't look properly.

Everett Carroll
12 hours ago, Benjamin Nutt said:

Anyone else have advice for busting through this plateau, aside from practicing H2? I also do UB twice per week. I've made great progress on all the F1 elements *except* for HBP and RC, both of which are stuck on PE2 (5*12r for push ups, 5*10r for rows).

Hey Benjamin,

The first thing I recommend looking at is your recovery. We can ensure you are getting enough of it by looking at your weekly schedule. I glanced at it and it looks like you're only training UB once per week. It also seems you are omitting core and LB. Is that accurate?

Benjamin Nutt

Nope. I've been traveling for the past month or so, which has meant more sporadic training (LB/UB/Legs/HS once per week), but I've been consistently training all modules weekly prior to travel. Perhaps it's important to note that I've been stuck on HBP2 for HBP and RC for a while now, even prior to travel.

Revovery has also generally felt good, and I like the progress I'm making in most elements. That said, I'm open to suggestion. 

Valerie Morwood

Hi Bill, I don't have much to add to this particular topic. I just want to say hi because I see you live in Winnipeg, and I'm from Kenora, but I come to Winnipeg frequently. I haven't met anyone else who does GST. It is very exciting that someone else in our area does this amazing program!

Andrew Long

After restarting Foundations I am in the same boat as you.  I recorded my progress on a graph and you can see a steady increase in everything except rc and hbp both stuck at level 2 never managing to get past week 7.  I have decided to move to the next progression and lower the reps build the strength up here for a month and then go back to the progression I was stuck on.  I already tried going back a step and it has not helped so thought id try the other way.  if you haven't progressed after my experiment ill let you know how it went.

Alessandro Mainente

There are other strategies for helping the progress. Moving through the following elements it is not the best one. Managing the sets, the range fo motion, the different contraction phases, the tempo. these parameters are more important.

Andrew Long

things I have tried:
-varying tempo from explosive concentric and slow eccentric to steady tempo to explosive both directions
-shoulder stabiliser strengthening (will probably continue working on this one for a while as it helps immensely)
-varying sets and reps (I did not try varying rest times because I have tried adding additional rest in the past with other exercises and it has never helped me reach mastery levels)
-more/less volume per week
-going back to an easier progression ( I even did an inbetween progression where I was half way between PE1 and pe2 in height)
-deloading

Things I have not tried:
-cycling strength and strength endurance training 
-something I haven't thought of yet as I am hoping the current idea will do the trick (Ideas welcome for future stagnation)

I understand the dogma of Gymnastic bodies is to not move beyond a progression until you have mastered the previous one, which I completely understand.
Pe3 is essentially the same skill as pe2 with worse leverage though. I am not attempting to do Headstand push ups here or deep dips without mobility preparation.
I am also not attempting to skip progressions as i intend to return to pe2 after 1 month of pe3 (I am nearly able to do the same number or reps at pe3 as pe2).
I am using one of the tools in my toolbox to achieve a goal, which is attempting to try a cycling method that is pretty standard practice in athletic conditioning. 
I welcome other ideas though should this one be deemed inefficient by comparison.

Different things work for different people and the best way to find out what works for you is systematically attempting various techniques and allowing adequate adaption time.