This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warm up to address weaknesses

Started by Timothy Yu, June 14, 2017 · 5 Replies · 184 Views

Timothy Yu

Hi after attending the GB Seminar I have made some adjustment on my warmups for my workouts. I would like to get your input. I created the warmup to address my weaknesses, which was made clear after the Seminar. Which are compression strength, Shoulder flexion/extension.

MONDAY - Core

Daily Limber

Compression

- Jefferson Curl 10r

- Straddle leg lifts 10r

- Straddle Single leg wipers 10r

- straddle Sing leg circles 10r

- Prone Straddle lifts  10r

- Prone Straddle curls 10r

- Prone alternate curls 10r

 

TUESDAY - HS/MS

Daily Limber

Shoulder Flex/Ext

- Table top 10r

- Static Seated Shoulder flex 10r

- Stiff Leg windmill 10r

- Seated straddle windmill 10r

- Planche play 10lbs 10r

Handstand Prep

- Stall bar lat pike lean 30s

- Stall bar Lat pike lean side to side 10r

- Stall bar Lat stretch twist 30s

- A/T/Y stretch 30s

- Cactus up/down 30s

 

WEDNESDAY - LEGS/ FS

Daily Limber

Hip Prehab/Knee Series

- Standing single leg hip circles

- Kneeling side lift 5r

- kneeling circle 5r

- kneeling parallel slide 5r

- knee circle squat 5r

- skiers 10r

- inside squats 10r

- twisting squats 10r

 

THURSDAY - Upper Body

Same as Mondays Compression warmup 

And Scap Prep

- Scap pushups 10r

- Hanging Shrugs 10r

- Parallettes Shrugs 10r

- Planche play 10lbs 10r

 

FRIDAY - HS/Bridgework

Same as Tuesdays Shoulder Flex/Ext

 

I would like to know your take on my approach for the warmup. Please let me know the changes I should do. Am I doing too much variety? should I do less variety and more volume?

 

Thanks! :)

Jon Douglas

Have you run through this a couple of times? How long did it take, and did it prepare you adequately for your workout?

Timothy Yu

Hi Jon,

Yes Ive only ran it for the past 2 weeks. It takes me about 20-30min to complete them. It does get me warm and loose for the workout.

Darin Phoenix

Hi Timothy,

I don't see a problem and I like your idea I am all for people working on improving areas. So long as your warm up doesn't turn into your workout. If you are warming up for 30 minutes how long are you training for? 

The majority of your workout intensity should be geared towards the main body of your workout, be careful not to expend so much energy warming up that your actual workout suffers.

Timothy Yu

Hi Darin,

My training usually last for about 45-60min. + stretching on stretch days. The workouts would only usually have 3 strength elements in a given day or less. 

Monday - FL, SL, MN

Tuesday - HS + MS

Wednesday - SLS + FS

Thursday - RC, sPL, HBP

Friday - HS + TB

I guess I should note as well that I regressed back to the earlier PE of the elements. I understand that when I get further out of the PE I will have to replace some warm up exercises to previously mastered PE and hopefully by putting the emphasis on working on my weaknesses on my warm up that it will help close the gap from the weak links with the other stronger areas.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Timothy Yu,

Your warmup looks good. Just make sure it doesn't turn out as a workout like what Darin said. Also if you can't sustain that warmup then that means its too hard for you. :)