This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow pain

Started by John Harvey 256726, June 12, 2017 · 6 Replies · 113 Views

John Harvey 256726

Hello I've been struggling with pain in both elbows for a couple of years now. Which I think is a combination of both my work and gymnastic training. I recently went to a physio and he told me that I shouldn't  lock out my arms and that locking out your joints is really bad for them but straight arm strength is crucial for gymnastics.  What should I do?  I really want to continue my gymnastic training? 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi John,

I recommend getting a second opinion. Another physio might have other suggestions that will help your elbows to heal while providing you the chance to continue training GST. Try finding a physio with a gymnastics background, if possible.

Leigh Kettle
19 hours ago, John Harvey 256726 said:

recently went to a physio and he told me that I shouldn't  lock out my arms and that locking out your joints is really bad for the

So many awful physios around :-(

Luke Searra

Leigh that doesn't make much sense to me, I would also see a second physio, possibly with a gymnastics or strength training background.

For your information, there has been some research done on high rep negative bicep curls for elbow health.

Leigh Kettle
1 hour ago, Luke Searra said:

Leigh that doesn't make much sense to me, I would also see a second physio, possibly with a gymnastics or strength training background.

For your information, there has been some research done on high rep negative bicep curls for elbow health.

Being told that locking the joints is bad is surely poor advice being given is what I meant . 

I'm currently doing high rep eccentrics as part of my elbow rehab so can vouch for This. 

John Harvey 256726

Thanx for the advice guys.  

Thomas Hanssen
12 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

Leigh that doesn't make much sense to me, I would also see a second physio, possibly with a gymnastics or strength training background.

For your information, there has been some research done on high rep negative bicep curls for elbow health.

Do you have som links to this Luke Serra? Just wondering how many reps and frequency?