This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Technique and Scaling for Handstand One?

Started by Francisco Garcia, June 12, 2017 · 6 Replies · 132 Views

Francisco Garcia

Wes' technique and scaling videos in Fundamentals, Foundation One and the Stretch courses are incredibly useful.   They make those courses much more valuable.   Are there any plans to introduce them into Handstand One?   

Slightly related question... how wide should your hands be apart in a handstand?  I've been trying to keep my hands pretty narrow - right below my shoulders (which is harder for me), but when I saw the demonstration videos for the PE's where you can see the hand separation, I see that the guy demonstrating has a pretty wide separation (wider than shoulder width, at least).   Is there a good rule of thumb?

Suzanna McGee

I don't have the right answer, but just from my own experience… I used to have the hands slightly wider than my shoulders, and then one time a submitted a form check for the wall runs (tapping the shoulder while in a handstand). Alessandro suggested that I am too wide. Suddenly I could not do any of the wall runs, so I went back to the previous progressions and worked on the handstand holding my hands narrower. With time, as my shoulder flexion improved, and my thoracic spine is more flexible, I am back on the wall runs with a narrower grip and doing fine… I am thinking, that for the future when we are about to learn one handed handstands, it should be more beneficial be narrower in our stance, because it will be an easier transition into the one-handed… yet again, I am just a handstand student, so what do I know… wait for the coaches to help you :) I am curious myself… 

Antonio Alías Montoya

I think I once read is shoulder width plus 10 cm on each side. Wait for confirmation.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Francisco Garcia said:

Wes' technique and scaling videos in Fundamentals, Foundation One and the Stretch courses are incredibly useful.   They make those courses much more valuable.   Are there any plans to introduce them into Handstand One?   

Slightly related question... how wide should your hands be apart in a handstand?  I've been trying to keep my hands pretty narrow - right below my shoulders (which is harder for me), but when I saw the demonstration videos for the PE's where you can see the hand separation, I see that the guy demonstrating has a pretty wide separation (wider than shoulder width, at least).   Is there a good rule of thumb?

Hi Francisco this is work in progress, me and the GB team are working to provide the technical videos as soon as possible.

Francisco Garcia

That's great news @Alessandro Mainente!  I can't wait!!

Btw, can you answer the hand separation question?   Is @Antonio Alías Montoya correct with the shoulder width +10cm on each side?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Generally speaking, my suggestion it is plus one hand on each side. for future one arm handstand development the best solution it is shoulder stance.

Francisco Garcia
22 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Generally speaking, my suggestion it is plus one hand on each side. for future one arm handstand development the best solution it is shoulder stance.

Thanks Alessandro!