This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Best way to progress - PE5im frustration

Started by Francisco Garcia, June 12, 2017 · 6 Replies · 175 Views

Francisco Garcia

Hi, I've been stuck on PE5's mobility for months now and can't advance passed step 1.  I've seen only minor progress in reducing the separation between my hands.  I have 3 questions:

1) Is the step progression really the right one for this exercise?  It seems like once you have the required separation, adding sets is easy (so there is little difference between step 1 and 9).  Shouldn't the step progression be based on separation rather than sets?  That way, at least, you feel like you're making progress.

2) Do people really improve that much in their hand separation for this exercise?  I haven't seen examples of dramatic improvement (which I need!).  The few examples I've seen on the form checks seem to show they started narrow. I have been religiously doing this exercise multiple times a day, but my separation is still about 50% too wide.

 3) Does it make sense to stick with this exercise indefinitely, or to mix in some of the subsequent PE's?  It seems like I would make more progress by mixing exercises while always practicing this one.   

Thank you!

Everett Carroll

Hi Francisco,

Thanks for posting. These are excellent questions!

1. That would be far too complicated since not everyone would be suited to begin at the same width. The progression rate with most mobility exercises is very individualized and the current structure allows for that variability. You should find the width and weight that allows you to manage the prescribed number of sets/reps. 

There is light at the end of this one. When I first begin training these, I started with the minimum prescribed and took it slow. As my body adapted to the movement, I began to add in an additional set of 10 reps before and after the session which really boosted my progress. 

The set prior to the workout was done very wide and was simply for warming up. The set post-HS training was only moderately difficult but closer to my end range. I suggest these additional sets for you as well, along with the thoracic bridge stretch series. You should start seeing more improvement that way. 

2. Yes, I see it all the time. Stay regular with your form checks/video reviews, the stretch workouts, and don't be afraid to add in some additional sets of dislocates. 

3. Avoid subsequent PE's. Feel free, however, to begin lightly working on the more advanced iM's. 

 

Francisco Garcia

Thanks Everett!  I appreciate the advice.   I am glad to hear that you've seen people make progress with this.  I will focus on doing the thoracic stretch course a little more diligently and also do your 10rep pre-and-post workout suggestion.  I've got PVC pipes at home and at work and try the dislocates every few hours.  Maybe that's too much.  

The most frustrating thing is that I can do most of the PE's in Handstand One (not the runs, for some reason, and not the full 120 sec free-standing), but I struggle with the IMs.   I will avoid playing with the PE's if it is not recommended, though.

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Francisco,

Sorry, but I wasn't as specific as I should have been regarding the upcoming PEs. Feel free to play with them; just ensure that the majority of your energy is put towards mobility, since that is your deficit. It's easy to cross the line between play and training, especially with fun skills like HS. 

I am certain that as you progress through the mobility drills, your wall run and free handstand work will greatly improve. 

Francisco Garcia

Thanks Everett!  That's good to hear as it is fun to play with the more advanced progressions.  For my training, though, I will stick with PE5 or maybe even go back and to a previous PE since I think I was probably kidding myself in thinking I had achieved mastery in the earlier mobility exercises.

Guido Franchetti

Hi Francisco! I do not think I can add anything to what I wrote in your other thread but do not get discouraged, we all have our sticking points! For example, I have been stuck on bloody FL/PE2 for longer than I care to remember... and from what I have seen in some of your form checks you are far ahead in many areas :)

To play with additional elements I usually follow this rule: once I have finished the required workout I consider myself free to play! I imagine the rationale for not training later PEs is that your mobility deficits may have you practice bad form which is then a pain to get rid of. It is probably a good idea to get a head start on the next iM though. At least for me, PE6 iM is much more challenging.

Francisco Garcia

Thanks @Guido Franchetti !  I like the idea of playing with the additional elements after finishing the training sets.  And I agree that it's smart to be wary of getting into bad habits that are difficult to break so I'll focus more on the mobility.