This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Getting back after a long break

Started by Joseph Baglieri, June 12, 2017 · 5 Replies · 95 Views

Joseph Baglieri

Hi guys,
I’ve been working out with GB for about two years. I’d been making good progress and had worked my way to:

FL/PE6, step 6
SL/PE5, step 6
MN/PE6, step 6
HBP/PE9, step 9
RC/PE7, step 9
sPL/SE1, step 3
SLS/SE2, step 9

SP/SE4, step 6
SKP/SE4, step6
WR/SE3, step 9
FTP/SE3, step 9
HS/PE7, step 9

Unfortunately, 5 weeks ago I got put on a course of Cipro for a bad gut infection. Due to the correlation with tendon rupture during-and-after taking this medication, I had to layoff working out.  After a 5 week hiatus I have been back in the gym for two days. I started working on the deload week of each of the above; it was rough. I’m tight and sore. I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on how to go about getting a new baseline that’s safe to start from and keep moving forward?

Thanks!
Joseph

Antonio Alías Montoya

When I stay away from training for some weeks and come back I always start with an easier progression and do just 2 or 3 sets stopping much before my maximum. First day is almost like not working out, or one will be extremely sore. Second training I add some more sets and reps, but still on the easier progression. And by the third training sesion I might be working on my current progression but an easier step. So usually takes me at least 2 weeks to catch the same point I was befors. That said, I admit I m just on pe1 and pe2, but I think the idea should work for every level. Maybe you ll need less time than me, maybe more.

Nicholas Murray

According to this review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4080593/ the effects of this class of drug can persist for up to 6 months following the end of treatment! I would take things very slowly, and remain at deload levels (or deload levels for previous elements) until you're completely pain-free after, and the day after, training.

I've had several tendonopathies - life is not fun at all. Good luck!

Everett Carroll

Hey Joseph,

Sorry to hear about that infection! Unfortunately, life hits us hard sometimes and training gains get the beat down. 5 weeks is such a short period though, and I'm sure that in another week or two, you'll be just fine.

I'd begin all of those same progressions from step 1 or 4 and steadily increase from there. Don't try to force anything and stay positive. Since you were consistent for two years prior to this, your body will more easily return to its old strength. I'd call this only a minor setback. 

Joseph Baglieri

Hey guys –

Antonio: yeah, I’m with you, getting “back on the horse” sucks. I’m four workouts back and things are stiff and sore, but also in a good way.

Nicholas: Yeah, I’m aware of the 6-month correlation. My doctor told me this was mostly correlated to a different medication in the same class. What have you done regarding your tendonophthies? Have you looked into cold lasers/LLLT?

Everett: I appreciate you reframing the idea that 5 weeks is a short period of time; it seemed like an eternity!
The four workouts I’ve done have been at deload levels. I’ve definitely lost some capacity/stamina but the strength seems to already be coming back nicely. Per your recommendation, I’m going to dial back to step 1 or 4 and go from there. 

Nicholas Murray

No cold lasers for me. The medial right elbow tendonopathy arose from doing frog stand incorrectly, and provoked an ulnar neuropathy as well. Not fun.

I used progressive isometric loading at first (holding dumbbells), and then progressed back into normal GST, plus normal & false-grip exercises on rings.