This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

extreme tightness in aductors

Started by Christopher Woodall, June 9, 2017 · 9 Replies · 191 Views

Christopher Woodall

Hello,

I've recently been experiencing some pain in my aductors (I think. At the top of the thick cable like muscles that extend from the groin into the legs). The tightness is not a "good" pain i.e. sharp and stabby. It is apparent when in straddle at the furthest range of motion. I've had the sensation for about a month now.

I suspect that I overdid it on a stretching session and have done some minor damage that will take a couple of months of inactively to repair.

Does any one else have any opinions on this? The pain is limited in the movements that I experience it in, anything with a wide straddle. Should I cease all middle split training? or should I just avoid anything that aggravates it? i.e. keep doing the movements but not going to the edge of ROM on moves that have straddle like movements?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Chris, the first thing it is to consult a physio especially if the pain still persists after one month, physio should be able to understand if the pain it is an overtraining situation or an overstretched situation. both of them needs time for the complete recovery.

Christopher Woodall

Hi,

How would a physio be able to help me? I've never been to one before so I don't really know what to expect. Would they give me some tests or exercises to diagnose the issue? What should I look for in finding a good one?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Luke Searra

Chris, a physio would definitely be a better option compared to a GP (general practitioner). They will probably run you through a couple of tests, and exercises for diagnosis, then work on you and possibly give you self-maintenance suggestions.

Christopher Woodall

OK, thanks for the advice.

 

Chris

Stepan Ventruba

Hello,

I have been looking for a post on this topic for some time and this one seems close to my problem, so I will ask here.

I have started with Fundamentals and now I'm finishing week one of Foundation 1 and have done the FSSS and TBSS first time, SSSS is on plan in the rest of the week. 

I have experienced very similar problem as @Christopher Woodall with a difference that for me this problem is looong term. I've experienced this since I can remember while trying to stretch, respectively while performing anything close to basic straddle position. I feel a string like tissue between my back and inner thigh ending on the inner side/back of the knee. And the connecting point at the knee is the painful / problematic one. 

I did ask several practitioners about this and the answer was always "let it rest" or some form of "deal with it". I've tried letting it rest in periods ranging from week(s) to months with no effect, on the next occassion while I was trying to do anything witl straight legs apart, it comes back. Even though starting lightly.

In straddle position my max is around or less than 90 degrees and in that position the pain comes fully in. It's not a good "stretch/sore/working" pain but a stinging pain in one specific point plus little bit painful pull on the mentiones string on the inner side of my thigh.

Please, if anyone would be able to help me with this, I would be really grateful as this is holding me back for a loooong time.

Thanks in Advance, Stepan

Everett Carroll

Hi Stepan,

Sorry you have struggled with this for such a long time. I have to refer you back to Alessandro's advice from earlier in this thread. A good sports physio's opinion in crucial here.

In the meantime, I recommend doing whatever is necessary to avoid pain/discomfort in the area. Reducing the intensity as much as necessary and avoiding any questionable positions is a must. Beyond this advice, an in-person assessment is needed.  

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/6/2017 at 8:02 PM, Christopher Woodall said:

Hi,

How would a physio be able to help me? I've never been to one before so I don't really know what to expect. Would they give me some tests or exercises to diagnose the issue? What should I look for in finding a good one?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Generally speaking, when an injury happens it is due to 2 things:

-first weakness

-then fascia adhesion to compensate the weakness.

Now the physio must understand where is the problem, then you need to heal and relax the fascia and after the section must be strengthened, I suggest foundations program for the legs.

Suzanna McGee

I used to have a serious tightness there too, @Stepan Ventruba. Clumps of non-movable tissue/adhesions just around my "tear drop". Almost like my Sartorius and VMO were glued together…  Find a good body worker (or physio) who will work on releasing the fascial adhesions. It definitely helps. You can do some work on your own too (search YouTube) but it is so much harder to do it to yourself. Go with the body worker first to get rid of the worst, and then you can make keep going on your own. 

Stepan Ventruba

Thank you all for your replies! I'll try to find yet different practitioner than... I have finished my first side split series session yesterday and for now it seems I maybe did not overdo it (very easy :P ). I'll try to keep it as painless as possible. 

Thank you and I'll keep you posted if I find some practitioner.

Stepan