This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Golfer’s Elbow – A Possible Solution?

Started by Garry Barker, June 9, 2017 · 4 Replies · 141 Views

Garry Barker

Before i started GST I use to do some table climbing. A couple of week ago I decided to have a go and gave myself a nice case of golfers elbow. (gutted) anyway I found this link on google

https://tomrandallclimbing.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/golfers-elbow-a-possible-solution/

It was posted in 2012 and apparently was recommended by a GB Senior Team members called Drew Haigh so I just wondered what the coaches thoughts were? 

Greg White

Interesting article.

I can't comment on that but I've had success with this https://www.t-nation.com/training/tendonitis-cure

I guess it depends on the level of tendinosis. My didnt cause pain in everyday activities but it was lingering for a long time and i felt it during pull ups etc so wanted to try and sort it before I reach pull ups..

I dropped pulling exercises for 6 weeks and for the 6 weeks did Gua Sha and the elbow flossing and would then use the blue theraband flexbar to perform sets of the reverse tyler twists as shown on the tnation link. There's a paper here about the exercise https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4060314/

After the 6 weeks there's a protocol to reintroduce pulling and add in slow eccentric curls.

Search Jill Cook Tendinopathy. She a Prof that specialises in tendinosis and I think the t-nation article uses her research. 

Good luck!

 

 

Garry Barker
2 hours ago, Greg White said:

I dropped pulling exercises for 6 weeks and for the 6 weeks did Gua Sha

Thanks for the links going try the Gua sha

I'll crash test dummy the link I sent and if it's any good I'll be sure to let people know

Everett Carroll

Hey Garry,

I'd definitely work with a physio but eccentrics, specifically wrist flexor eccentric exercises, are the way to go with these things. Basically lengthening those muscles repeatedly. Consulting a medical professional is going to be the best way to go though. 

Garry Barker

Thanks Everett I will add in the wrist flexor eccentric exercises. 

I've notice on google a lot of the advice is to rest but the problem with this injury that it can flair up just with everyday activities anyway (for example lifting daughter out of her cot) so I feel really stuck on this one.