This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Out of the Frying Pan...

Started by Kenneth Stainback, June 9, 2017 · 3 Replies · 134 Views

Kenneth Stainback

* This is a Foundation One question, I promise. :)

I purchased Handstand 1 about a week ago (or less) and my limited shoulder mobility (mostly in regards to overhead reach) was getting in the way of the early mobility progressions (HS PE1>iM and PE2 iM). I was well aware of my shoulder mobility issues well before starting H1. So, I started an H1 thread about whether I should stop my calisthenics strength training to focus solely on mobility. I got some good advice and, among other things, someone recommended Foundation One (and Thoracic Bridge) along with Handstand One.

So, I pulled the trigger and purchased Foundation One. So, far, I think it's great. I especially like love the addition of the Technique and Scaling videos. Well, I say "addition"... maybe it has been there from day one, but it is something H1 doesn't have and would be a great addition it.

In my first F1 workout, I come to MN/PE 1>iM... Stiff Leg Windmill. This is the very first iM for Manna, but I believe it requires near-perfect overhead shoulder extension - so the weight is not falling forward or backwards... balancing directly over the shoulder. So, IMO, I don't believe it is an exercise I should do, since my overhead shoulder extension is pathetic. I realize most exercises won't be done with perfect form the first time... that you work on form until it is perfected. But, this exercise feels different in that I don't believe my overhead shoulder extension will improve by performing this exercise. Please correct me if you feel I'm wrong on this belief. I'm here to learn.

So, any recommendations? I could simply substitute the H1 iM exercises in place of the Stiff Leg Windmill or is there a different exercise one could recommend to work on overhead shoulder extension? Should I try light weight with the next iM (Jefferson Curl)??

Thanks!
 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Kenneth,

You are asking an interesting question. I don't recommend that you skip over the exercise because you cannot perform it correctly. As you yourself said that would mean that we would be skipping most exercises and generally we are not able to perform a progression when we moved to a more advanced level. The thing that I find interesting is that nobody ever asks whether they should skip a pull-up or a push-up because they don't have the necessary strength to perform it, to begin with. Think of mobility as the same of strength you don't have the required mobility at the moment to perform the exercise with good form so you are going to have to work on it until you do the same as you would for a strength exercise. 

It will take time as these issues are not something that can be rectified overnight or even over a period of weeks and months. I know of one person who spent nearly 18 months perfecting MN PE/IM 1. And the results that he eventually yielded were spectacular. The other mobility work in Foundation 1 along with Handstand 1 will also contribute to you improving your shoulder flexion. You could also consider purchasing the Thoracic Bridge series as well. The combination of all of these efforts, as well as consistency and patience over time, will allow you to realize the results that you are after. 

As Coach Sommer says " Go Slow in the beginning, so you can go fast later on."

Greg White
1 hour ago, Darin Phoenix said:

The thing that I find interesting is that nobody ever asks whether they should skip a pull-up or a push-up because they don't have the necessary strength to perform it, to begin with.

I nearly spat my coffee out laughing reading this. So true. 

Kenneth, I don't have particularly great shoulder flexion (not many do by GB standards) but it's much better now after spending approx 8 months on MN/PE1 and the iM. My pike is also much better as the SLWM kills several birds with one stone. What I've found with F1 and GB in general is if you don't like doing an exercise (as long as it's not painful) then that's probably an exercise you really need to be doing because it's a weakness and to get stronger it's necessary to address weakness rather than ignore it.

 

Leigh Kettle

Brilliantly put Darin and Greg. 

 

Also kenneth I've been on this since I started in October 2016. (I'm hoping to beat the athletes record that Darin was talking about of above of 18 months . ;-) ) 

i come from the same calisthenics strength background too and my mobility has been affected massively due to this  . These issues are being addressed now tho luckily 

My stiff legged windmill has definitely improved with repeated consistent effort and the help of the stretch series so keep at it mate 

leigh