This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ground Rows executed like Incline Rows

Started by Antonio Alías Montoya, June 7, 2017 · 6 Replies · 234 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hello everyone,

I m working on RC PE2 Ground Rows. Unless I m wrong there are 2 differences between PE1 and PE2. One is the rings height and the other is the grip at the top of the movement. While in PE1 we should finish with a supinated grip (hands facing  your face) in PE2 we should finish with a neutral grip (hands facing). Now my question is: is it ok to execute the ground rows like incline rows? Which means a supinated grip at the top of the movement?

I ask this because I ve been experimenting with both and although both executions seems as hard as the other, I feel that finishing with a supinated grip is better for my elbows and shoulders. Not that I have pain when I end it neutral grip, simply that it feel more right the other way. When finishing neutral I may feel (very light discomfort) my shoulders on the last rep of the last set.

And just out of curiosity, what are the effect differences between both executions?

Thanks guys!

Alessandro Mainente

Hry Antonio, the primary goal it is the pulling and elbow flexion range of motion. changing the grip let you to focus more on one elbow flexor more than the other.

Antonio Alías Montoya
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hry Antonio, the primary goal it is the pulling and elbow flexion range of motion. changing the grip let you to focus more on one elbow flexor more than the other.

I m very sorry Alessandro but... I didn t understand a word. Haha. Sorry, I ve read many times and still don t get it. :-)

Do you mind explaining it some other way for me to understand?  Thanks!

Everett Carroll

@Alessandro Mainente is the person to talk anatomy, but the gist is that both grips should be trained, in order to strengthen the different elbow flexors. It sounds to me like you are doing that already so you're good to go. 

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

I m very sorry Alessandro but... I didn t understand a word. Haha. Sorry, I ve read many times and still don t get it. :-)

Do you mind explaining it some other way for me to understand?  Thanks!

the first goal it is the range of motion showed in the video. period.

If you change the grip you can focus more on one elbow flexor compared to the other. the neutral grip has more brachioradialis involvement, the supine grip has more bicep brachii involvement while the pronated grip focuses more on brachialis.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks a lot! So it seems I understood a bit the first time after doing my own search of the 3 elbow flexors. Then what it matters here is good range of motion and good form. Grip is a bit more secondary and simply changes the activation of the differents elbow flexors.

Antonio Alías Montoya
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

@Alessandro Mainente is the person to talk anatomy, but the gist is that both grips should be trained, in order to strengthen the different elbow flexors. It sounds to me like you are doing that already so you're good to go. 

Great! Yes, I already started noticing I need to work more than one grip. Although so far my favourite is supinated rows because i feel i can completely close the movement, to stay for a second on the top and that i can flex more. Thanks Everett!