This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

No oversplits?

Started by Derek Schlieps, June 7, 2017 · 3 Replies · 103 Views

Derek Schlieps

Hi I have been doing the stretch series but was wondering if there is a place in the program to train oversplits. When I was a gymnast I used to do 2 min of middles with both feet on a block and have to go all the way down. 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Derek, the problem of doing the passive over split it is that you rely on your passive joint structures which it is not good. When someone reaches easily the splits I suggest 2 things:

-reach the split actively with antagonist's muscles hold

-hold the splits isometrically to reach superior cold flexibility.

Derek Schlieps

Hold isometrically - what would this position look like for front/middle splits? Similar to the isometric hold in the stretch series, but in a full split on an elevated surface? Or something else? Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Exactly, like lunge front split hold and middle split with 3 cm in between groin and floor.