This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist exercises

Started by Travis Joseph, June 7, 2017 · 13 Replies · 358 Views

Travis Joseph

Hi, I have a few questions about how to perform the wrist exercises. How much time in between sets should I be taking? Should I do them as a circuit or take them one at a time?

Leo Trinidad

Hi Travis,

Good question. You should do the wrist strengthening exercises as a giant set with no rest in between the exercises. 

Travis Joseph

Great thanks for clarification 

Luke Searra

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions, Travis, the forum coaches are here for all questions, big or small.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Leo,

you mean doing 1 set of each five times or 5 sets per each 4 progressions? 

Joshua Daudelin

Correct me if I'm wrong coaches, but you'll go through the 4 progressions x 5 sets

Everett Carroll

Hey Joshua,

It will be 3-5 sets, depending on what step you are on Your workout details will tell you exactly how many sets and reps to perform of each movement. 

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks Joshua, so you would do the 3-5 sets of one before moving to the next one.  I usually rest 5 secs between sets

Bill Marr

I have been treating them as a giant set all the way through. I do the required # of reps for each of the four different wrist movements, rest 10 seconds or so, then repeat for the required # of sets. I've just started the SE4 series for all four movements. This entire section of the HS course is an amazing overall upper body workout. My shoulders are mush after working these with little rest. I work HS three times a week, twice after UB. When I first started HS1 in late November 2016 I remember looking at the SE4 movements and figuring it'd take forever for me to get there. And here I am -- working through that very section. Living proof that you follow the progressions, work hard, be consistent, and you get results with GST. 

Nina Madsen

Heya, I'm new here, about to start these wrist exercises for the first time today. I am very happy I came across this question and answers before starting. Thank you Travis for asking!

I have a follow up question though. 
Do you give smiley assessment based on your weakest part of these exercises to keep them all in sync?

Thanks for reading :-)

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Nina Madsen,

Welcome to the forum. Very good question. Yes that is the best way to keep them in sync. :)

Felipe Garcia Rosa

good to know that Bill! Will give it a try, though much faster if you are in same progression for all only

Jeffrey Eganhouse

Follow up to this. How much pressure are you exerting against the wall when doing these exercises? Is it just leaning some body weight? Or are you actively pressing into the wall with your shoulders, while doing the wrist work (under that 'weght')? I can't get a good idea from the videos how much I should be 'pushing' on the wall for lack of a better way to put it.

Everett Carroll

Hey Jeffrey, 

That will depend on how strong your wrists are. Let the intensity determine the amount of weight you put into your wrists; if you're above a 2/10 then you are pushing too hard. Maintaining a slow tempo and proper form is much more important than how much weight is on your wrists. As you advance through your progressions, more weight will naturally be put into them.