This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stop Strength Training to Make Gains on Mobility?

Started by Kenneth Stainback, June 7, 2017 · 9 Replies · 269 Views

Kenneth Stainback

I got H1 less than a week ago. Previous to this, I was doing mostly calisthenics… weighted pull ups and dips, archer pull ups and push ups, leg raises, etc. I would typically work out 4 to 5 days a week.

I’ve been mostly ignorant of mobility and/or flexibility concerns growing up, and my shoulder mobility is pretty horrible. For example, if I attempt a simple wall extension (back to wall, arms out at 90), my elbows touch the wall but my forearms are completely off the wall (the worst arm has a wrist to wall distance at 6”). Additionally, for PE1>iM, the grip distance on the bar is currently 45” (where I believe 16” is my target) to be able to get the bar to shoulder height. So, I have a long road ahead, it seems.

I’ve read other posts of those with similar issues, so I know I’m not alone having poor shoulder mobility. But, my question is regarding my calisthenics training. Will continued calisthenics training negatively impact my ability to progress my shoulder mobility? I’m guessing that besides working a desk job for many years, that working out without stretching and mobility work got me to this point. So, would I get better results by simply focusing on shoulder mobility and drop strength training for some period of time to see better/faster mobility gains?

One forum poster mentioned it took them one and a half years to master PE2>iM… I really hope that’s not me, but if that is a possibility, I would find it difficult to cut out all strength training for potentially a year or more.

I would love to hear others thoughts/experiences with this. Additionally, if there are additional shoulder mobility exercises I could work in addition to the PE1>iM, I’d love to know.

Thanks!

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Kenneth Stainback,

Strength training really makes someone tight. I wouldn't suggest that you stop strength training but your program probably has some holes esp in the mobility aspect. I highly suggest that you consider in getting the Foundation Series. For each strength component there is a corresponding mobility and is incorporated with your training. I also suggest getting the Thoracic Bridge Stretch Course if you want to hasten your mobility gains in your shoulder. These Courses: Foundation Series, Handstand One and Thoracic Bridge Series will balance your strength and mobility. 

Kenneth Stainback

Thanks for the recommendation @Leo Trinidad. I got Foundation 1 today. I'll see how it goes, hopefully adding some stretch courses with time.

Alessandro Mainente

Simply be sure to dedicate AT LEAST the same amount of time on mobility and strength exercises in order to balance the tension, then to improve faster you should do more.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Kenneth Stainback,

We are excited to hear more about your progress. :)

Kenneth Stainback

Thanks, guys. I definitely want to focus more on mobility, but without throwing strength out entirely. Today is an F1 day, so I'll get to it now.

Matthias Schwartz

Hey Kenneth, I would say to keep training, but perhaps reduce the amount of time/intensity spent on exercises that are known to create mobility issues like you're experiencing (eg. dips are great, but done with the shoulders rolled forward, they mask and promote shoulder issues). I think your mobility practice will be more effective if you incorporate it into your strength practice, just being mindful that your newfound mobility may be opening new ranges of motion that you may need to be aware of when strength training. I.e., the way you move may change, so you may need to back off on your training intensity as you learn to control that new range. And definitely, start Foundation 1. It is a great program and will change your life for the better. You just will need to perhaps lessen (but not eliminate) your other strength training workload to balance out with the workload you're getting into in Foundation.

Just some ideas.

Matt

Luke Searra

Kenneth read Alessandros comment carefully please. It is a very good recommendation to balance barbell strength with mobility.

Christopher Hancox

One thing I have learnt from GBT in the last 6 months is that when I start to open up my range of motion, my stength in that extra range is very weak. I reckon holding back on strength progress is a must when exploring new extremities in flexibility.

Pauline Taube

This is completely normal, Christopher. 

Once you start to build strength in the full range you will get more bang for the buck for every exercise. It's not a matter on holding back on strength but rather work out the imbalances and balance strength and flexibility. Remember that you are not stronger than your weakest link :)