This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

So confused....

Started by Peter Kerson, June 6, 2017 · 2 Replies · 161 Views

Peter Kerson

Is there an explanation somewhere of what is covered in Foundation One, Two, Three and Four? I finally found something explaining Handstand One (by the end of H1 you should be able to do a two minute free-standing handstand) but I haven't found that for F1. Much to my chagrin I thought F1 was supposed to teach you all the things it says it's preparing you for: manna, rope climb, etc, but I'm beginning to realize that's not the case.

What should I be capable of at the end of F1?? Is there some orientation information somewhere that I'm missing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Winter Phoenix

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the community. It is perfectly normal to be confused when beginning a new program as there can be so much information to take in and it can seem overwhelming. The Foundation series is designed to take you from beginner to mastery on what Coach Sommer considers the seven Foundational Elements of Gymnastic Strength Training. They are;

  1. Front Lever
  2. Planche 
  3. Hollow Back Press 
  4. Rope Climb 
  5. Manna 
  6. Side Lever 
  7. Single Leg Squat 

Foundation 1 is just the beginning of that journey which is all about building a surplus of strength and mobility in your body that will allow you to perform these skills whilst minimizing the chance for injury. If you are interested in what specific exercises make up each part of the Foundation Series you can always look them up by accessing your Course Library which can be found under the Fitness Menu in your dashboard. Here you will find a list of all the exercises and mobility that make up the Foundation Series. It took Coach Sommer 40+ years to figure out the map all you need to do is follow the path that he has set out. If you need any further assistance with anything the forums are an excellent source of information you also have the ability to lodge customer support queries from within your dashboard. Again welcome to the community and we look forward to helping your achieve your fitness goals.

Paul Wallbridge

Just to build on what @Winter Phoenix has said above, and to answer your question as to what you can expect to achieve from F1:

i would suggest that unless you are already exceptionally strong in the core and upper body you can expect significant static strength and mobility improvements. Leg strength (for me) has seen very little improvement but I am coming from a background of competitive cycling so already have good power to weight ratio ;)

the most notable change I have seen is in stomach and should/bicep definition. I am only about 1/3rd the way through most progressions, but have completed Single Leg Squat (at deck squats).