This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

No mobility in straddle/ hip retroversion

Started by Dave Creech, June 2, 2017 · 5 Replies · 290 Views

Dave Creech

I've been working pretty hard on mobility and doing the stretching routines consistently for a few months. I'm definitely seeing some results, but still have almost no ability to lean forward while in straddle.  On the seated good mornings Im barely able to go forward a inch.  This doesn't seem to be Improving at all and is actually starting to give me some discomfort in my lower back if I really push things hard.  

Also, hip internal rotation is a big problemfor me.  I had a physical therapist friend evaluate me and he says it seems I have retroverted hips, with my anatomy being such that I have more extreme external rotation and limited internal rotation.  He said forcing internal rotation such as on the swivel hips when I'm limited anatomically may be causing me to twist my hips and lumbar spine in an awkward way, leading to back tightness and discomfort. Would there be any modifications you recommend in my case?

 Just as an aside, I have a long history of competitive hockey, powerlifting, and martial arts, so years of possible overuse and tons of heavy squats and good mornings and getting my joints twisted on the mat may not be helping my mobility.  

 

Sorry for for the long question! Thanks!

Pauline Taube

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reaching out. 

For the seated good mornings I'd recommend to elevate your butt as much as you need in order for you to be able to 'comfortably' be able to lean forward with a straight/arched back. You want to focus on the APT in this position. You can sit on a block, two blocks or a bench. Feel free to submit a form check for feedback. 

For hip internal rotation I'd suggest to consult with your physio about specific exercises in your case that can improve it without forcing you in positions that will cause pain. 

Feel free to reach out again any time if you have other questions :) 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi Dave, I recommend you adding the front split series in case you don t have it. This series address hamstring mobility which is impiding you to lean forward. You ll see faster results. I d say it s a must.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Dave Creech,

Thanks for reaching out. What I can suggest to hasten your progress is do the other courses as well like the Foundations and Handstand. All the courses work in harmony and will make stronger and more mobile at same time. Just focusing on one area like the lower back and or hips will take longer time versus working on all your imbalances from scratch. :)

Suzanna McGee
2 hours ago, Matthias Schwartz said:

I've addressed that using techniques in his book and I'd say my internal rotation is healthy now.

Matthias, I have that book (Kelly is great!) and I also have very poor internal rotation from sports all my life. What were the most beneficial exercises from the book for your internal rotation? (my external rotation is nothing to brag about either, lol, just plain not-want-to-rotate-hips :) )

Suzanna McGee

@Matthias Schwartz thanks for the video, it's a great little sequence. I saw some parts of it before. I will try to implement it in my schedule. I already feel my rotational tightness just imagining myself doing it, ha ha. Looking forward to the exercises from the book when you get to it. Thank you!