This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Move Beyond "Easy"

Started by Kenneth Stainback, June 1, 2017 · 5 Replies · 182 Views

Kenneth Stainback

Hey everyone. I just purchased Handstand I and am anxious to get started. I am completely new to the Gymnastic Bodies website.

I set up my schedule and started my first workout. However, it was extremely easy, so I clicked on the appropriate smiley faces for all exercises and see that it logs the workout on my calendar. I realize that my for my next workout, it will advance each part to a new progression. However, I want to move on to the next workout today... so I can get to a good starting place for my current level. Is there a way to start a new workout (on the same day)?

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Kenneth,

There is no way for us to advance you to the next workout today. Feel free to practice some more if you have the energy. The course will quickly get more difficult, so there is no need to rush through these initial workouts. Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Kenneth Stainback

A little more tinkering around led me to the "Course Library", where I can see the progressions/what's next. So, I was able to get in what I wanted. But, yes, I see it will get harder soon. Thanks!

Pauline Taube

Awesome Kenneth, work on perfecting the movements and enjoy the 'easy' phase for now ;) 

Tobias Karlsson

How is it going for you? I was thinking the same in the beginning, it starts of very easy and it is very little effort to get it done. This however, changes so rapidly that in a few sessions you are really struggling. I have been doing it for a while now and some days it is really tough

Guido Franchetti

In many courses, some of the early progressions or, more often, the first steps of these progressions seem exceedingly easy. Ideally, you should use these first steps to really perfect your technique - get the technique to mastery level at step 1 and then build endurance.

I say ideally because I personally find it hard to resist the temptation to build technique and endurance at the same time. Note that I do not mean increasing the number of reps with bad form, which is absolutely to be avoided, but rather increase the number of reps with decent, but not mastery level, technique. As far as I have understood (I am not a coach) this is tolerable but sub-optimal, and perfecting form from step 1 is the best approach.

As I wrote before I am not a coach so I am not sure the following is correct, but I imagine that very low reps/short holds would go well with a "grease the groove" approach which could be adopted when struggling learning some movement: you do it often but holds are short enough that you can focus on learning the technique.