This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Volume

Started by Jared Tavasolian, June 1, 2017 · 10 Replies · 354 Views

Jared Tavasolian

Hey everybody, 

 

its been a while while since I've been here. So happy to be back, but A 10 month old will do that.. lol 

I hope this is an appropriate topic. 

I see the ripped guys on gb all the time and I think damn I want to look like that. Gotta get rid of the dad bod. I'm starting back on my gst and wondering if those guys are training the Main elements 1 x per week and is that enough volume to build that physique or are they doing it 2 x a week. 

Im starting back from the beginning in foundation 1 and slowly building my base. I was inspired after listening to coach on Robb wolf and time ferris podcast. Man the guy has so much knowledge.

I have the personality that's like no I need to do dead lifts / heavy squats and train kb .... on top of it. Not sure if that's the right approach. 

 

Thank you 

J 

 

 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Jared,

Welcome back to our community. Hope that you have been enjoying being a dad. I train solely the progressions from the Foundation series including some weighted lunges. I also play around with some Ring Strength Series as well. I am 43 years old and the Gymnasticbodies programming has been responsible for me getting into the best shape of my life. As with anything you do, your results will equal the effort that you put into your training. Turn up, focus on correct execution with intensity during your workouts and most importantly be consistent.  Real results will be measured in terms of months and years, not days and weeks. I also feel that you should add in some type of cardio conditioning obviously my personal favorite is to jump rope. If you ever need any assistance to maximize the benefits of your GymnasticBodies courses our Forum Coaches and amazing community will be here to help and support along the way.

Jared Tavasolian

Hey Darin,

Yeah being a papa Is really cool. 

Thanks for the response. I follow you on instagram I think. Your feed is really inspiring. So are you doing Upper Body strength, core, lower body, hs and rings only 1 x per week or more? 

Ok I will start to get my jump rope game solid. What like 10 or 20 min 3 x per week? 

Thanks for the feedback, knowing you got those results make me more determined to stay the course. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Jared!

We met at the San Diego seminar a quite a while ago. Congrats on the young one! Glad you're back at it! I suggest each workout once per week each for now since you are just getting back into things. Don't train R1 right now. 

I'll let @Darin Phoenix give the cardio specifications since he's the rope skipping guru.

 

Jared Tavasolian

Hey Everett, 

Thanks for jumping in. I appreciate your input. I hope you are doing well. Yeah having a son and moving to the east coast sidelined me for a little bit. 

Do you suggest 1 x per week until I get through foundation 1 or just the first couple weeks? I saw coach doesn't recommend rings until after foundation 2 so I'll shelve that for now. 

I guess it's slow and steady. And yeah except for playing a little pick up basketball I'm not doing any cardio. 

 

 

Everett Carroll

1x per week for at least 12 weeks. Your strength will return fast. Definitely shelve the rings for now.

Wesley Manson

Hey everyone. I am curious @Darin Phoenix when you say you only to the progressions from the GB programming, does that mean you do F4 for example, and your done with upper body? Or do you do F4 and then some previously mastered progressions of F4 after to add in some more?

 

Thanks in advance.

Darin Phoenix

I train Upper and HS twice per week, Legs once per week and Core twice per week. Rings I play with at the end of my Upper workouts.

Wesley, you are correct, to warm up for my main work I will do a couple of sets or earlier progressions. I may also add a higher rep set of an easier progression at the end of my workout. I do this simply as a way to maintain joint health and pump some blood into the area I have been working. 

I use Jump Rope as a way to warm up for all my workouts. As a warm up 5-10 min is all that is required to elevate body temperature it also gives me a chance to start mentally switching on for the coming work. For cardiovascular benefit 20- 30 minutes. That being said I am quite addicted to Jump Rope it has a great similarity to the GymnasticBodies system in that I am always striving for the next progression. I was never previously that fond of doing any cardio as I did not find it particularly engaging. This all changed with my discovery of Jump Rope now I enjoy my cardiovascular training as much as my strength training. 

I hope I have been able to shed some light on my training for everybody. However, I advise you to remember that training is a very individual thing. Just because something works for me does not mean that it will work for everybody. We all have unique work and recovery capacities. One of the amazing features of GB Courses and programming is the ability to tailor it to your own unique training situation. I encourage everybody to listen and take notice to the way your body responds to the demands that you place on it. Use this knowledge and Coach Sommers expert programming to travel down the road of progress.

David Valentiner

Darin, quick question on jumping rope (love your instagram vids):  In his podcasts, Coach discussed that connective tissue takes a long time to adapt (it has 1/10th the metabolic rate of muscle).  How stressful is jumping rope?  --> How long should I take to progress, to give the connective tissue time to strengthen?  I realize this is highly dependent on age, weight, previous exercise, etc.  However, with Coach, we know that you simply have to perform certain progressions easily and then its safe to move up.  Any suggestion on jump rope progressions?

I started by doing

Week 1: 15 secs on, 45 secs off for 5 sets.  

Week 2: 20 sec on, 40 sec off 

Week 3: 25 sec on, 40 sec off

This continues until you get to 5 minutes with no break.

 

Everett Carroll

I'll be curious to see what @Darin Phoenix suggests but I recommend starting with a 30s-1 minute for your warm-up and increasing that slightly each month. For cardio, I'd follow a similar protocol of progressive overload. I have never used the jump rope for cardio like Darin has so I'm sure he has a better insight. 

Ryan Bailey
5 hours ago, David Valentiner said:

Darin, quick question on jumping rope (love your instagram vids):  In his podcasts, Coach discussed that connective tissue takes a long time to adapt (it has 1/10th the metabolic rate of muscle).  How stressful is jumping rope?  --> How long should I take to progress, to give the connective tissue time to strengthen?  I realize this is highly dependent on age, weight, previous exercise, etc.  However, with Coach, we know that you simply have to perform certain progressions easily and then its safe to move up.  Any suggestion on jump rope progressions?

I started by doing

Week 1: 15 secs on, 45 secs off for 5 sets.  

Week 2: 20 sec on, 40 sec off 

Week 3: 25 sec on, 40 sec off

This continues until you get to 5 minutes with no break.

 

Good questions @David Valentiner and very smart progressions you shared. I started jumping progressions without the rope initially, as a complete beginner... now doing 7-15 min jump rope 5x/wk in warm up.

I am also interested what @Darin Phoenix has to say; good insight @Everett Carroll!

Btw- someone start a jump rope thread of how everyone's jump rope skills are coming along for fun!!