This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rows: Retracted at the bottom?

Started by Fabio Paulus, June 1, 2017 · 4 Replies · 313 Views

Fabio Paulus

Hey there,

should I go into protraction every time my arms are straight, and then the first movement is a retraction of the scapula?

I'm not sure about this, at the moment I just keep my shoulder blades retracted the whole time. How to do it correctly?

 

Greetings, Fabio

Coach Sommer

Hello Fabio,

Do not keep the scapula retracted at all times.  They are designed to move; move them!

Access your Coach's Corner row video for additional details on how to perform rows correctly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chris Harvey
16 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Fabio,

Do not keep the scapula retracted at all times.  They are designed to move; move them!

Access your Coach's Corner row video for additional details on how to perform rows correctly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I never know this concept. I used to think I need to fix my scapula in order to stabilize shoulder and perfect the movement:(

Fabio Paulus

Thanks for the answer!

 

One more question: At the bottom position, should the shoulders be completely "loose" or should I keep them at least depressed?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 6/1/2017 at 11:48 PM, Chris Harvey said:

I never know this concept. I used to think I need to fix my scapula in order to stabilize shoulder and perfect the movement:(

To isolate a particular muscle group, most would do what you mentioned.

 

12 hours ago, Fabio Paulus said:

Thanks for the answer!

One more question: At the bottom position, should the shoulders be completely "loose" or should I keep them at least depressed?

Keep them depressed. This will help with other portions of the Foundation series and also help your general posture.