This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE13 (Ring Dip)

Started by Petri Widsten, June 1, 2017 · 34 Replies · 511 Views

Petri Widsten

 Hi @Jin Liu

That's interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts and research on this. What I tend to do is when I consider my elbows locked and the position feels solid I don't try to force the rto 'more than necessary' and expend more energy that seems to be required. If my elbows are indeed microbent maybe I would benefit from replacing part of the dips (which aren't a problem) with extended all-out rto holds (10 s or so?) to see if I notice the difference that you mentioned. I'd be interested to hear from a coach e.g. @Alessandro Mainente, whether this training plan makes sense.

 

Alessandro Mainente

A good solution I use with my athletes and kids it is to put an elastic band in between the rings and I grab both rings and also the band, this will provide some assistance for the instability and you can focus temporary on locking the elbows out.

Jin Liu
12 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

 Hi @Jin Liu

That's interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts and research on this. What I tend to do is when I consider my elbows locked and the position feels solid I don't try to force the rto 'more than necessary' and expend more energy that seems to be required. If my elbows are indeed microbent maybe I would benefit from replacing part of the dips (which aren't a problem) with extended all-out rto holds (10 s or so?) to see if I notice the difference that you mentioned. I'd be interested to hear from a coach e.g. @Alessandro Mainente, whether this training plan makes sense.

 

Alessandro gave a really good solution regarding developing straight elbow RTO. Another thing I'd like to add, dip is mainly triceps and chest intensive, and straight elbow RTO is more biceps & tendons. One can usually ring dip as many reps as he wants if he doesn't care about RTO at top. However, if he strives for a prolonged RTO hold at top of each rep, he'll be soon out of juice for RTO after a few reps. Therefore, I don't think it's necessary to replace some part of dip to give more time for RTO hold. To improve RTO hold, I'd train it separately, with the method Alessandro suggested, and it's def worth the time. For ring dips, what most gymnasts do is that they finish each rep with an impeccable straight elbow RTO at top, but they don't hold it for more than a sec. 

Petri Widsten

Sounds like good advise, @Alessandro Mainente and @Jin Liu. I haven't actually tried to "overdo" the rto yet beyond the point where I've felt the joints locking. I'll do some holds on the long straps and, if necessary, scale it down to short straps or the elastic-band-between-rings. Btw, isn't the goal (or one of them) in rto training to condition the brachialis muscle and tendon for other ring work?

Jin Liu
1 hour ago, Petri Widsten said:

Btw, isn't the goal (or one of them) in rto training to condition the brachialis muscle and tendon for other ring work?

You're right. If you own R1, you can take a look at the Ring Support and LARS sections to have an idea of the training specifically designed for support & straight arm strength on rings. In my opinion,  those are much more intense on the elbows than what you would typically feel at the top of a ring dip.

I think for ring dip, Alessandro's original point is to demonstrate a full elbow lock out, which is part of the exercise. But holding in RTO for extra time would be 'overdoing' it. Ring dip is still mainly a bent arm strength exercise. @Alessandro Mainente, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Alessandro Mainente

Remember that the primary goal of foundations it is not the same of rings. the turned out position should be shown but not held for an excessive amount of time.

Petri Widsten
On 20/09/2017 at 1:59 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Remember that the primary goal of foundations it is not the same of rings. the turned out position should be shown but not held for an excessive amount of time.

This time I really squeezed the rto - I hope it shows. Tried to take videos where the straps don't block the view. These were the best.

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Petri Widsten,

Nice attempt. Its still microbending. It will get better when you dial in your earlier progressions. May I also ask if you are working on Handstand One Course? Wrist Stretches along with the mobility of HS1 will help on locking that elbow too. 

Petri Widsten
56 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Petri Widsten,

Nice attempt. Its still microbending. It will get better when you dial in your earlier progressions. May I also ask if you are working on Handstand One Course? Wrist Stretches along with the mobility of HS1 will help on locking that elbow too. 

OK Leo, thanks. I can't see it but I trust you can. I'll keep trying. Yes, I have H1 and my wrists are quite flexible.

Leo Trinidad

Wrist stretches also stretches your forearm and biceps. ;) sorry, i forgot to emphasize that.