Best garage ever!

Started by Jin Liu, May 30, 2017 · 21 Replies · 4,517 Views

Jin Liu

Just moved from an apt to a house. Now I've got everything! No more excuses for missing a workout! Yay garage!

:)

IMG_7124.thumb.JPG.fc1a54168cb331d88b003f631bb3c7d9.JPG

Iain McLean

Sweet baby Jesus!

Jeffrey Bittner

That's so awesome! Congrats Jin!

Ryan Bailey

Oh Ya!

Bill Marr

When you love GST more than your car!

Nicholas Murray

I'll be over in ten minutes, Jin :P

Jin Liu
16 minutes ago, Bill Marr said:

When you love GST more than your car!

LOL! I can't deny this statement.

Jin Liu
5 minutes ago, Nicholas Murray said:

I'll be over in ten minutes, Jin :P

would love to have my GST folks! :)

Luke Searra

Congratulations Jin, great setup with nice vertical barbell storage.

Leo Trinidad

beautiful setup Jin and its indoor too! really no excuses. hehe ;)

Nicholas Murray
12 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

would love to have my GST folks! :)

Well, when you and husband (or anyone else reading this!) come to visit in Canberra, you can train in my garage! The garage contains the parallel bars and crash mat (both 3.5 metres long, can't fit much else in) and the other room used to be a games room behind the garage -it was disgusting when I bought the house...the previous owner used to keep dogs in there :( 
The ceilings are a little low (2.4m) for any tumbling or trampolining but the skylights help to raise the rings, rope & TRX to a usable height.

A lot of this used to be in my living room, and I'm happy it's out of the house. But the thing I like the most is that I found a way to get the plyo boxes off the floor and free up a lot more floor space.

The last photo shows how the parallel bars condition when I bought them from a second hand dealer. They were outside for a few years I think..the bars were in terrible condition, so after a week of work, with lots of rust converter, sanding, anti-rust paint and polyurethane, I can do Russian dips on something that doesn't move :)

I hadn't thought of a lifting platform though.....

Garage.jpg

gym01L.jpg

gym01centre.jpg

gym01R.jpg

gym03.jpg

rusty.jpg

Jin Liu

Wow!!!! That's serious!!! Love the parallel bars!!! They look like new from the first pic. And you've got a pole!! So jealous that you've got so many "toys". I'd love to have some plyo boxes and some crash mats. Still have to find a place for my high rings. And having a pair of parallel bars like that will be a dream comes true for me. And how do you keep things soooo well organized?!?!?! Love your gym!!!!

Nicholas Murray

My gym is the most organised part of my lfe, Jin. Every other part of my life is a bit chaotic at present, so the intense focus from GB helps to block everything else out.

Suzanna McGee

BEAUTIFUL, @Jin Liu!!!! And I thought my living room "gym" was cool… yours is many many coolness levels above  :-) however, I think I @Nicholas Murray's one is even cooler, the pole and the rope… :) 

Nicholas Murray

@Suzanna McGee the pole is aspirational....I think it's a piece of apparatus that needs huge mobility and strength. Stall bars are easy in comparison. But you can show me how to use it when you visit :P

Jin Liu
1 hour ago, Nicholas Murray said:

@Suzanna McGee the pole is aspirational....I think it's a piece of apparatus that needs huge mobility and strength. Stall bars are easy in comparison. But you can show me how to use it when you visit :P

Pole does require huge strength, esp grip strength. Before you have the kind of upper body strength & mobility & extremely reliable grip, you have to wear short shorts to be safe. Super high high-heels, on the other hand, is optional :D

Suzanna McGee
18 hours ago, Nicholas Murray said:

@Suzanna McGee the pole is aspirational....I think it's a piece of apparatus that needs huge mobility and strength. Stall bars are easy in comparison. But you can show me how to use it when you visit :P

Ncholas, I follow some male polers on IG and they are truly amazing and inspirational. Truly inspirational. Can't wait to see your progress on it once you jump on it. I so agree about how hard it is. When I started last year, I got so humbled. Fit and strong (as I thought I was, ha ha), I couldn't even hang on. Finally now, a year later, and mostly thanks to GST (because I couldn't do much pole because I couldn't really hang on) I feel I got stronger, and strong enough to start working on my pole. This is super exciting :) Your gym is unreal, you don't need any other room(s) in your house :)

Suzanna McGee
17 hours ago, Jin Liu said:

Pole does require huge strength, esp grip strength. Before you have the kind of upper body strength & mobility & extremely reliable grip, you have to wear short shorts to be safe. Super high high-heels, on the other hand, is optional :D

Tell me about that, Jin. My grip strength was almost non-existent. It's better now, but still not able to do one-handed things. And yes, those teeny-tiny outfits help, the more skin is gripping on the pole, the better :) And the shoes, ha ha… I actually bought a pair, never really wore it (not my thing), and if I put them on, I am 6'7" tall and the ceiling is in my way to do things… besides looking like a baby giraffe with collapsing legs… :tent: 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 5/30/2017 at 8:30 AM, Luke Searra said:

Congratulations Jin, great setup with nice vertical barbell storage.

I think you mean horizontal?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 5/30/2017 at 9:21 PM, Nicholas Murray said:

Well, when you and husband (or anyone else reading this!) come to visit in Canberra, you can train in my garage! The garage contains the parallel bars and crash mat (both 3.5 metres long, can't fit much else in) and the other room used to be a games room behind the garage -it was disgusting when I bought the house...the previous owner used to keep dogs in there :( 
The ceilings are a little low (2.4m) for any tumbling or trampolining but the skylights help to raise the rings, rope & TRX to a usable height.

A lot of this used to be in my living room, and I'm happy it's out of the house. But the thing I like the most is that I found a way to get the plyo boxes off the floor and free up a lot more floor space.

The last photo shows how the parallel bars condition when I bought them from a second hand dealer. They were outside for a few years I think..the bars were in terrible condition, so after a week of work, with lots of rust converter, sanding, anti-rust paint and polyurethane, I can do Russian dips on something that doesn't move :)

I hadn't thought of a lifting platform though.....

Garage.jpg

gym01L.jpg

gym01centre.jpg

gym01R.jpg

gym03.jpg

rusty.jpg

 

On 5/29/2017 at 10:18 PM, Jin Liu said:

Just moved from an apt to a house. Now I've got everything! No more excuses for missing a workout! Yay garage!

:)

IMG_7124.thumb.JPG.fc1a54168cb331d88b003f631bb3c7d9.JPG

These are things of beauty. Congratulations. 

Suzanna McGee
5 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I think you mean horizontal?

I guess they are above each other, therefore stored vertically… but I know what you mean, they are laying horizontally :) 

Jin Liu
1 hour ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Tell me about that, Jin. My grip strength was almost non-existent. It's better now, but still not able to do one-handed things. And yes, those teeny-tiny outfits help, the more skin is gripping on the pole, the better :) And the shoes, ha ha… I actually bought a pair, never really wore it (not my thing), and if I put them on, I am 6'7" tall and the ceiling is in my way to do things… besides looking like a baby giraffe with collapsing legs… :tent: 

I know, you'll be soooo tall if you put those shoes on! Grip strength takes time, but it will come :) 

i also follow a pole guy on ig. He basically only relies on his grip strength to stay on the pole while performing all sorts of flips. Amazing!!