This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training Volume

Started by Scott Migliore, May 28, 2017 · 7 Replies · 262 Views

Scott Migliore

So I am back with another questions about training volume. I love the GB program and have been training each program 2x per week but as the weather is getting nicer I find myself wanting to incorporate other elements into my training program. If I switched to coach sommer's recommended schedule and on upper/lower body days included some weight training, and on the stretch days included cardio benefit me more than training each workout 2x per week?  

 

I don't know if this matters but I am on the end of F2 for most of the exercises

 

Thanks in advance

Everett Carroll

Hi Scott,

I suggest avoiding weight training, or at least keep the volume very low, to be sure you are allowing recovery for your GST. Try adding in the cardio while still keeping your GB workouts at 2x/week.

Just be sure you are being sensitive to your recovery and don't be stubborn. Back off if necessary. 

Jeffrey Mailly

@Everett Carroll do you have a recommendation for how many days of rest between workouts? For example, how many days between Upper Body to give yourself time to recover? Sorry if that is covered somewhere else. I have been doing F1, H1, and Stretch for 4 weeks now and want to incorporate more as I am handling the volume fine. Currently doing each workout once per week.

Would it be better to wait until I reach the end of an element to consider adding more volume? This seems to make sense to me as the intensity will/should get more difficult right?

Lastly, is there a specific pairing of workouts per day that would be more beneficial than others? One example - Is combining handstand and core a good idea, or is something else better?

Everett Carroll

Hey Jeffrey,

Great questions!

-If the volume feels good, go ahead and add in an extra Upper Body, Lower Body, and/or HS workout. I prefer at least two days between the same workout.

-No need to wait on progressions to change before adjusting now, since it's been a month and the volume feels good. It's totally up to you though.

-I like to avoid training Upper and HS on the same day. Otherwise, you should be all good to mix and match. Find out what works best for you. 

 

Jeffrey Mailly
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Jeffrey,

Great questions!

-If the volume feels good, go ahead and add in an extra Upper Body, Lower Body, and/or HS workout. I prefer at least two days between the same workout.

-No need to wait on progressions to change before adjusting now, since it's been a month and the volume feels good. It's totally up to you though.

-I like to avoid training Upper and HS on the same day. Otherwise, you should be all good to mix and match. Find out what works best for you. 

 

Thanks dude!

Jeffrey Mailly

@Everett Carroll how does something like this look? Any reason to not be active all 7 days of the week? I absolutely cannot train more than 2 things per day because of a time constraint that will not change for the foreseeable future.

MON: upper/lower
TUE: middle split
WED: handstand/core
THU: front split
FRI: upper/lower
SAT: thoracic
SUN: handstand/core
 

Everett Carroll

I always suggest a day off each week @Jeffrey Mailly. I take Sunday's for rest or light activity that is not GST related. Your Saturday might qualify since it's just a stretch series. Your schedule looks good though!

Jeffrey Mailly

Thank you!