Rings strength positions

Started by Oscar Riaño, May 26, 2017 · 5 Replies · 3,779 Views

Oscar Riaño

Hi guys, 

should lifting exercises be integrated in the strength for rings? What is a good balance between lifting exercises and specific strength moves training? I was training with Gregor in Slovenia when I was living there and he really put a lot of emphasis in developing strength for maltese and planche through lifting exercises. He told me that a person is able to hold a maltese if he can lift a 60% of his bodyweight in a maltese simulating exercises with both weights. But what is actually the real ratio for bodyweight and lifting training for the best progress? 

US gymnasts, for instance, look really jacked and pumped, but then you see them perform and... Meh. I would say that they dont really achieve high levels of relative strength. Instead, you see many quite "skinny" gymnasts performing much more difficult skills. Are weights even necessary? I see bigger progresses by doing for example maltese leans on rings than maltese simulations with weights...

What do you think??

Thanks in advance :D

Everett Carroll

Hi Oscar,

Weights are most useful for mobility. As you become more advanced, weights may help fill in some gaps, but to advanced high-level skills, nearly all of your programming should be GST exercises. 

7 hours ago, Oscar Riaño said:

I see bigger progresses by doing for example maltese leans on rings than maltese simulations with weights...

I agree with you completely here. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Oscar,

I would also like to add that we can't add weights until we master our own bodyweight. The best way to go is form over intensity. ;)

Alessandro Mainente

Accessories exercises can be implemented as additional lower intensity stimulation ONLY  when a solid work on advanced rings strength elements it is achieved. the basic idea it is to still train a specific pattern with more emphasizes on the anatomical adaptations.

Oscar Riaño
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Accessories exercises can be implemented as additional lower intensity stimulation ONLY  when a solid work on advanced rings strength elements it is achieved. the basic idea it is to still train a specific pattern with more emphasizes on the anatomical adaptations.

Thank you guys for the answers! @Alessandro Mainente i did not really get what you meant. What you are saying is that specific weight lifting for straight arm strength can only be added after having reached a considerable level on the rings? 

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, exactly. I mean straddle planche, handstand, press to handstand, muscle up etc.