This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting over with a more mature focus

Started by Kevin Chaussee, May 25, 2017 · 7 Replies · 340 Views

Kevin Chaussee

I have been dabbling with GST for several years and I have been guilty of trying to attain certain skills without putting in the effort to really prepare my body for the forces these skills really require.  I have been dealing with some significant upper back pain and it all stems from working on skills that my body cannot handle at this time.  At age 48, I had a sense of urgency to do a muscle up on both rings and a bar. Well, I can say that I can do MUs, but they are not controlled and they ALWAYS cause some sort of pain either in my elbows, shoulders or thoracic spine. It is just plain stupid to continue to attempt to do "tricks" that my body is not prepared to do.  

That being said, I started back to PE 1 on all my exercises this week.  I am following the proper form and tempo.  I will be submitting form checks prior to advancing to the next exercise and most of all, I am going to enjoy the process of freeing my body from pain, strength limitations and mobility limitations!  Initially, my goals were to do MU, FL, BL and all the cool tricks as seen of millions of YouTube videos.  Now, however, I am going to slow it down and enjoy every new freedom GB provides.  I purchased HS 2 last night and I am very excited to work this into my weekly programming.  Coach Sommer indicates that the press HS is the ultimate bodyweight exercise.  I am absolutely convinced that through working slowly and methodically through Foundations and HS, I will achieve every physical goal I have! 

Coach Sommer

This is exactly the attitude needed in order to achieve quality of life and long term success.  

Onward and upward from here on.  :icon_cool:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kelly Gage

Kevin,

i could have written this exact post!  I tried foundations a couple of years ago but got sidetracked with the promise of faster progress elsewhere. At 44, I have realized I need to focus on what my body needs rather than learning tricks for the sake of my Facebook feed.  Like you I restarted this week with PE1 on everything and I will be filming my first form check during my workout today.   Let's do this!

Kevin Chaussee

Kelly,

Keep me updated on your progress!  I look forward to putting in some quality time with the GB programs.  I have no specific goals other than improving day by day!  I'm going to submit some form checks this weekend. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Guys,

I believe everyone wants to progress fast. From experience, mastering your Foundations is the best and fastest way to go. Be consistent, don't injure/hurt yourself and you'll be surprised in the progress that you'll make in a year. I am very proud to say that until now I am doing exercises from Foundation One. :) 

Chris F.

Good stuff people! Attitude is the key. Have to embrace the joy of practice. Been at this for four months and loving how I feel even if I'm doing all these "basic moves." In fact, I've been getting great help from Luke on the video review and am taking a step back in push-ups gladly so I can really dial in the form. So much more to a simple push-up the way we do it but the benefits are so key!

I'm 48 as well. 

Leigh Kettle

Great post kevin

i trained in calisthenics for 4 years and was the stereotypical guy coach talks about when he talks about guys that don't properly condition themselves generally have a shelf life of 2/3 years before they are broken. This was me.

i achieved a few things I was proud of being self taught  (front lever,slow bar muscle ups, tiger bend push ups to name a few )but in doing so  I completely destroyed my body in so many ways . I knackered my elbows, my lower back was a constant isssue and getting out of bed was a workout in itself. I had terrible shoulder mobility (am getting there slowly now with this programme ) and my spine is made of stone so starting my gb course at 38 yrs old was an absolute blessing 

As I say i only wish I'd started this brilliant programme full of brilliant coaches so much sooner but am excited that I'm now around 8 months in and will never look back 

good luck with everything Kevin I'm certain you won't regret this decision 

leigh 

 

Greg White

Good stuff. With GB i've learned it's nice to just enjoy the journey and not worry about rushing to the destination. Otherwise the destination is Sore-jointsville. Population : People around age 40 with cranky joints.

Good luck.