This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS 1 PE 1

Started by Ryan Segervall, May 25, 2017 · 5 Replies · 64 Views

Ryan Segervall

- So this was my first attempt at HS 1 PE 1, I didnt have a timer so I just tried to hold the tri pod until I began to fatigue. In the future I will have a timer. 

A couple questions regarding this exercise

1) Is the goal to put as little of weight onto your elbows as possible? This is what I was working on in this video. 

2) What is the proper head position to prevent hurting my neck? 

3) How much of your weight should you actually be putting onto your neck? Should you be trying to push the the ground to limit the amount of load placed on the vertebrae in the neck? 

 

Thanks,

 

Ryan Segervall

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Ryan Segervall,

The goal is to evenly distribute your weight in your tripod. The reason why you feel so much pressure in your neck is because you're not evenly distributing the weight. Lock your elbows in the mobility. If the weight is too heavy, then you must decrease the weight or you can even remove it.

Ryan Segervall

- Here is another go at it. Actively trying to pull my knees off of my elbows. Keeping core tight. Driving fingers into the ground. 3x30s

- iM felt better, emphasized locked elbows and elevated scaps while maintaining tension throughout core 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Ryan Segervall,

Very nice on making the necessary adjustments on your tripod. It looks like you got this already. As for your mobility, make sure that when you lean forward that your arms don't go with you. You can also decrease the weight if its too heavy. Mobility takes time and its much more better to focus on form than on weight. 

Ryan Segervall

@Leo Trinidad

I took a wider grip and took the weight off. Focused on keeping the bar directly overhead and elbows locked. 

1 question tho. Do we want scaps elevated or depressed? My guess is elevated because that is how it will be in handstand, but thought I would double check.

 

This intensity seems to just about right, no need to add weight for the moment. Gonna be a long road to open these shoulders up but happy to have started attacking my deficits.:)  

Alessandro Mainente

Nice question, for a specific carryover you should aim for elevation.