Hi, new user, though been browsing for a while. Basic background info: I'm 42 years old, used to be very overweight & sedentary, but lost about 6 stone (84lbs / 38kg). Completely new to gymnastics, but since January 2017 I've been learning to handstand, purely for fun/fitness/sense of achievement. Between January and now, I've gone from not being able to handstand at all, to being able to regularly hold a handstand for about 40 seconds, with a current "best" time of 1 minute, 1 second.
With that said, I'd really appreciate some advice on how to improve the consistency with which I can kick up into a handstand.
Here is a video of my current "typical" handstand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqXckouVVs
I know my form isn't good - my shoulder flexion is poor, as is my wrist mobility. I am working on improving both of those, but it's very slow going.
When I kick up into a handstand as in the video, I only successfully balance about 30% of the time. The other 70% I either go over too far and fall backwards, or don't kick up enough and fall forwards. I try to be as consistent as possible with my movement in the kick up, but even after 5 months I just don't feel like It's improving. The time I can hold a handstand *is* improving, but the consistency with which I can do it isn't. To be honest it almost feels like luck whether I catch my balance or not...
I thought it would just be a case of practice, practice, practice until the muscle memory becomes second nature, but that just doesn't seem to be happening. Could anyone please give me some pointers on how to improve this?
Thanks.
(just to reiterate, I know my shoulder flexion is poor and am working on it)
