This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skill work? Feels more like strength

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, May 25, 2017 · 10 Replies · 274 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

after reading many comments on handstand training being skill work vs. others being strength training I was wondering if I have the right approach towards HS PEs.

I feel HS PE2 as a higher strength required exercise than any foundations one (inc Spl, HBP, etc.). Mainly my triceps and shoulders start burning after 20 seconds and sometimes I am not able to hold the 24 seconds required (I went down to 24 after puting more weight on arms vs head).

did any of this happened to you? Is the burn building strength or should not reach that point?

Feli

Bas Albinus

Burning is related to fatigue and lactic acid build up. Either due to high load or high repetitions(endurance). A static hold can be either one but in general aims to build endurance as you're holding for time in a certain position and with little to no rest in between. The burn is not beneficial to build pure strength. It can even be counter productive. 
But it does indicate the effectiveness of an exercise to a certain muscle group(you can tell where it hits for sure;). If you are working on building endurance strength you will experience burning sensation now and then esp. towards the last set's reps. It's good to test the boundaries once in a while, but don't go there each and every time. Stay below it, avoid any excessive burn. Decent warm ups, stretching and myofascial release will help reduce and recover from fatigue + reduce soreness after workouts.  
Basically the smiley system is a good indication for what's good n what's not. Massive burn would definitely not feel easy with a big smile.      

Alessandro Mainente

Hy Felice, handstand begin to be a skill when the body has an optimal configuration to work.

If you are in the handstand position but you are not aligned, how do you suppose to feel the weight correctly? ideally, you should be able to feel zero fatigue. On the contrary when a problem on mobility or wrong alignment still persist the exercise become harder than expected.

Leonhard Krahé

Hey Felipe,

in support of what Alessandro already wrote, I usually feel that I have to work a lot through shoulders and arms to support the headstand when I'm angled, i.e. out of alignment, which usually happens to me when my core isn't tight enough or fatigued. On the other hand, when coming into the proper position, the position feels easier and easier until it's almost effortless.
Hope that helps!

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey all, thanks for your answers! Very helpful Bas! That also happens on FL PE1

I should have noted that during video review I was adviced to put more weight on my arms as opposed to be completely vertical on PE2 so I would look similar to the guy in the video.

after trying to match the alignment of the guy in the video all of this happened (I was at 48seconds and went down to 24 or less).

so would you please confirm if I should be completely vertical or little bit inclined like guy in the video?

Coach Sommer
13 hours ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Hey there,

after reading many comments on handstand training being skill work vs. others being strength training I was wondering if I have the right approach towards HS PEs.

I feel HS PE2 as a higher strength required exercise than any foundations one (inc Spl, HBP, etc.). Mainly my triceps and shoulders start burning after 20 seconds and sometimes I am not able to hold the 24 seconds required (I went down to 24 after puting more weight on arms vs head).

did any of this happened to you? Is the burn building strength or should not reach that point?

Feli

Of course it is strength work.  How could it be otherwise?  You must first build the physical structure which is capable of performing the required skills.

Perhaps it would be helpful to think of it as applied strength training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Coach,

thanks for your anwser. Makes sense if you think it that way. Just wanted to check on the high burning sensation which Bas mentioned that I should avoid getting there every set, and my arms shake and burn every single set (no problem with that, but if its counterproductive..)

Can post a form check again, but my alignment is equal to "the video" (Alessandro: the video found when you go to course library, handstand, free stanting HS, PE2).

Its much easier iF I am completely vertical, but as I mentioned I was adviced to match the guy in the video...

Antonio Alías Montoya
On 25/5/2017 at 4:29 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

what video?

Hahahaha! Funny! What video? Which guy!? The exercise video i guess.

Felipe Garcia Rosa
1 hour ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

Hahahaha! Funny! What video? Which guy!? The exercise video i guess.

 

On 5/25/2017 at 3:29 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

what video?

 Lol I answered but forgot to quote. The video found on the course library for that particular PE

Alessandro Mainente
31 minutes ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

 

 Lol I answered but forgot to quote. The video found on the course library for that particular PE

Sorry Felipe, I was searching in your line a link of your execution! from here my strange question!

Felipe Garcia Rosa

I posted in video review so all good!