This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dish Hold vs. Hollow Body Hold

Started by Nathan Harrington, May 24, 2017 · 6 Replies · 141 Views

Nathan Harrington

Being a bodyweight enthusiast even before joining the GB community, I have become very familiar with the hollow body hold as being a staple in core and body alignment conditioning. However recently I was reviewing a program the British Olympian Nile Wilson prescribed in a YouTube Series that involved a lot of dish holds.

It is unclear to me the difference between the hollow body and dish holds. I am just wondering the pros and cons of each position in relation to the other and how they are normally prescribed in GST?

Luke Searra

Nathan,

There is absolutely zero difference between the dish hold and hollow body except, the proper and correct Gymnasticbodies terminology is Hollow Body Hold. The converse movement of the hollow hold is the arch body hold.

Nathan Harrington

Thanks Luke. That definitely clears things up, and explains why they look so similar.

Sometimes the naming conventions can make things more complicated than they need to be.

Nicholas Murray

Nathan, do you watch Niles' " ultimate gymnastics challenges" ? Always good for a laugh!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7bWygyn804  

This one features a handstand walk obstacle course. I'd just be happy to have a handstand !

Greg White
3 hours ago, Nicholas Murray said:

Nathan, do you watch Niles' " ultimate gymnastics challenges" ? Always good for a laugh!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7bWygyn804  

This one features a handstand walk obstacle course. I'd just be happy to have a handstand !

I'm a big fan of his youtube channel, very funny and they have crazy skills. 

He lives a couple of miles from me (managed to grab a selfie with him when out shopping - profile pic). 

Nathan Harrington
7 hours ago, Nicholas Murray said:

Nathan, do you watch Niles' " ultimate gymnastics challenges" ? Always good for a laugh!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7bWygyn804  

This one features a handstand walk obstacle course. I'd just be happy to have a handstand !

Hey Nicholas, yeah I have been watching those challenges. Those guys look like they have a blast with some healthy competitions. I have also gained some insight into the HIIT circuits he posts as conditioning, and have done a few of those after my foundations work a few times a week since I am trying to shed a few pounds.

"The Stronger Series 2" with Lachlan Walker is what I was referring to earlier in this feed, is a program Nile created for those guys it does have some good elements in there too.... BTW are you really not working your handstands with GB!?  

Luke Searra

My pleasure Nathan