Hi I've just started go a few weeks ago, I'm into pe2 of most stuff. I've start to develop constant minor elbow pain on the outside of one elbow. And common beginner things that can cause this? Ring rows/ push ups?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Elbow pain
Started by Sam Marschall, May 24, 2017 · 6 Replies · 180 Views
Hi Sam,
Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear that you have developed some pain in your elbow. We never recommend for students to work through pain. I would strongly suggest ceasing upper body training until the pain has completely gone away.
You could continue to train core and lower body movements just nothing that places the elbow under stress.
What does your weekly schedule look like? It may be that you have done too much too soon and you may need to build up your volume in a more gradual manner.
If the pain does not go away then I recommend that you go and visit someone like a physio to have your situation correctly diagnosed.
Once you have the situation under control I can also suggest that you submit some videos of you performing your exercises either here on the forums or privately through customer support. This way one of our coaches will be able to determine if you are correctly performing the exercises or there is something in your technique that may be causing some issues.
7 hours ago, Sam Marschall said:Hi I've just started go a few weeks ago, I'm into pe2 of most stuff. I've start to develop constant minor elbow pain on the outside of one elbow. And common beginner things that can cause this? Ring rows/ push ups?
Hello Sam,
You have attempted to progress faster than your joints were prepared for.
Take a week or two off of upper body training and then begin again at PE1; paying special attention to ensuring that you are not training thru joint pain.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks for the advise, i Do core and upper body 4 days a week ( on the same days). Crossfit 2 days a week, before I started gb I did crossfit 4-5 days a week. Since starting gb and doing less crossfit my body has felt a lot better, so I'm not sure if it's over training. If I do a video which movement should I do it of?
cheers
4 days a week probably it is too much, reduce to 2 times a week.
17 hours ago, Sam Marschall said:Thanks for the advise, i Do core and upper body 4 days a week ( on the same days). Crossfit 2 days a week, before I started gb I did crossfit 4-5 days a week. Since starting gb and doing less crossfit my body has felt a lot better, so I'm not sure if it's over training. If I do a video which movement should I do it of?
cheers
Always start with less rather than more and then build from there as appropriate.
- Take 1-2 weeks off upper body work to rest the elbows.
- Drop back to PE1 in your upper body work.
- Start with 1 day per week for upper body. Stay with this schedule for 3 weeks. Evaluate.
- If your elbows tolerated 1 day per week well for the 3 week period, you may add a second upper body day per week.
- At that point, remain on 2 upper body days per week for the next several months - at a minimum.
There is nothing virtuous about working more intensely or with more volume than our bodies can tolerate. As you have already discovered, approaching training with a 'no pain, no gain' mentality is simply a fast track to injury. Achieving excellence requires long term commitment.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thank coach
will do