Front handspring

Started by dlsso, February 24, 2010 · 19 Replies · 6,037 Views

dlsso

So I figured out how to do a lousy backyard type handspring years ago, and would like to learn how to do it properly.

I tried one on the porch just now, and it's even worse than way back when. I can tell on my own that the main thing lacking is speed, as I just kind of fall out of it. If there are more specifics let me know so I can start trying to do them correctly.

Here's what the first try looked like:

-9Mu-PFj6lU

Edit:

Fixed

Seiji

It's different to youtube things on this website. You cut out all of the URL except for the stuff after v=.

If you keep your legs straight, you can generate more of just about everything. Push off with your shoulders too :P

dlsso

Alright, I got some pointers from a gymnast and I'm now entering with my body a little straighter. When I come out though, I have to bend my legs under me to land solidly. I can force myself to keep my legs straight and my hips from sinking, but then I'm landing with my feet too far out in front and can't stay standing. Any suggestions? (I didn't get a video, unfortunately.)

Seiji

Well, you're supposed to land slightly bent (like you describe) so you can block off of that.

But just for show if you want to land straight, you'll need to put your arms out more in front on you and block off of them more. I think the key things to remember about this move are to push off through the shoulders, keep the legs straight, and to hop onto your hands after both of your feet leave the ground. It's only a slight moment between the feet leaving and the hands touching... It's just for a little block.

I need to learn that front snapover thing. I already forgot what it's called lol The FHS from two legs instead of one. I imagine it would be a lot more useful in higher level tumbling?

IvanPS
Seiji said:
I need to learn that front snapover thing. I already forgot what it's called lol The FHS from two legs instead of one. I imagine it would be a lot more useful in higher level tumbling?

I think those are called flysprings?

Gregor
IvanPS said:
Seiji said:
I need to learn that front snapover thing. I already forgot what it's called lol The FHS from two legs instead of one. I imagine it would be a lot more useful in higher level tumbling?

I think those are called flysprings?

not very useful in hgiher level tumbling, you can rarely see in this skill in elites routines. Although it's a basic skill.

EDITED:

FHS is very dificult element to performe it the right way. And almost imposible to teach someone trough internet.

Seiji

Ah. I actually haven't seen it in any olympic routines, come to think of it.

Flysprings... flysprings... got to remember that.

Blairbob

the flyspring is a good basic drill to teach before front handspring and back handspring.

it also is a drill to teach an arched front layout as a front tumbling accelerator.

post-51-13531537025765_thumb.jpg Your shoulder angle is drastically broken. I'm also going to guess that you did not lunge deep enough with your front leg. An ok distance is to start from a standing lunge, bend the rear knee to the ground and have at least a foot length between the rear knee and front heel.

post-51-13531537026042_thumb.jpg Your chin is tucked in and your knees are bent. Chin should be raised up (but don't stick out your ears with a compromised, broken "flexed" shoulder angle).

I teach the pop off the shoulders in a front handspring last as it's important to teach the open shoulder angle with shoulders shrugged up and a proper lunge and kick of the legs straight. As well, it takes quite a lot of time to teach them not to tuck in their chin and tuck their legs over. This is a natural habit that has to be broken.

dlsso

When you talk about open shoulder angle, do you mean just arms over ears? Or do I need to worry about how much the shoulders are rotated inward as well? Which is the correct position for entry?

Seiji

Basically speaking, there are two shoulder angles described here.

Open is where your shoulders are next to your ears, arms high.

Closed is where the shoulders are out and up in front of you instead of just up.

dlsso

Last night I got my first floor time since asking about this stuff, and I feel like I'm still doing a pretty poor job of "levering" into it, but it must have helped because I was able to land them standing upright with very little bend in the knees. So thanks! :)

Blairbob

good to hear. feel free to post more pictures/footage. :wink:

dlsso

Okay, I'm only really interested in this skill as it pertains to improving other skills but here's a quick one I threw this afternoon without any thought put into it really.

You'll see I'm still breaking the shoulder angle a bit and bending the knees severely. I think I can fix those to some degree if I focus, though I don't know if I can land legs straight on grass. This might be partially due to lack of back flexibility, not sure.

aXmrhU2sYyI

Sternford

That is a great improvement

Blairbob

When you learn how to block off your hands, your handspring will have more turnover.

I do not teach a blocking action in the shoulders anymore till a gymnast has a solid handstand, can walk in handstand, can walk up and down a mat in HS.

Then I teach the basic popping shoulder motion with a spot on a trampoline or spring board or wall. Then I teach the handstand pop by starting downhill eventually going uphill.

dlsso

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I have been working on my handstand but progress is slow. It often takes me a few tries to get any real sort of hold, and even then it's very rarely more than 5-7 seconds.

Seiji

I'm going to make a FHS video tomorrow so that you can use it as a reference, I'll put it here :D

dlsso

Hah, thanks. Sorry about the shoulder!

Seiji

You are welcome :D

The main thing how I got it was by watching a video on youtube of someone doing it really well. I noticed that their hands hit the floor after their feet left the ground. After I tried it, they magically got 10x better. It's an easy move once you understand that part of it. Blocking off of your hands is really simple too. You sort of shrug with your shoulders and maybe straighten the arms a little. It's not easy to explain... Sort of a shove. It comes almost naturally though.

Here's a tip for tumbling in general (applies to this too): If you keep your legs straight through the majority of the motion, your movement will be more powerful. Like the difference between a hook and a cross in boxing.