This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting Jefferson Curls - nervous about back pain

Started by Keith Gislason, May 22, 2017 · 6 Replies · 182 Views

Keith Gislason

Hello, 

I have been doing GST for about 2 months. I started experiencing some back pain after a trail race earlier in the year. The chiropractor diagnosed a bulging disk and asked me to stop running and back off on repetitive lower body movements (like crossfit) for a while to let my back recover. He was supportive of me starting this program but has some concerns about Jefferson curls. Not just in my case but the whole exercise. I've been doing as much research as I can over the last week or so and want to go ahead but before I start I am wondering what suggestions you would have to reduce risk or re-injury. Is it as simple as keeping the weight very low and proceeding cautiously? Thanks in advance!

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Keith, if he said you that you should be very very cautious I would follow his suggestion, If he says to stay away from it I tend to agree with him.

Keith Gislason

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier. He is suggesting that NO ONE should be doing Jefferson curls. If I follow this advice wouldn't that mean that I am essentially done with the foundations program at MN/PE2 since there is no way to ever progress?

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi Keith, I also suffer bulging disk,

you can try first do it unweighted for some weeks and see how it goes. At the first discomfort feeling stop it. Always do less than more, specially at the beginning. Many times one doesn t feel is hurting himself when doing an exercise but one feels the next day when is too late. So you better progress very very very slowly.

Everett Carroll
5 hours ago, Keith Gislason said:

He is suggesting that NO ONE should be doing Jefferson curls.

This is simply wrong. 

Because of your specific issues with the bulging disc, I suggest getting a second opinion from a sports physio. If they tell you to be careful or avoid them completely, then feel free to skip the iM and continue advancing once the PE is mastered. This is not ideal, but neither is a disc bulge, so listen to your doctors and adapt the program as necessary to stay safe. 

Keith Gislason
10 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

This is simply wrong. 

Because of your specific issues with the bulging disc, I suggest getting a second opinion from a sports physio. If they tell you to be careful or avoid them completely, then feel free to skip the iM and continue advancing once the PE is mastered. This is not ideal, but neither is a disc bulge, so listen to your doctors and adapt the program as necessary to stay safe. 

Thanks for the response. I'll look into that and proceed carefully with the PE.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Jeff Curl, in my opinion, is not to do right after you injure your lower back. Only after fully recovered as a way to sthenthen lower back. I also had bulging disc