This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE4 Arch up execution and terminology

Started by Leonhard Krahé, May 22, 2017 · 9 Replies · 231 Views

Leonhard Krahé

Hello everybody,
Feeling a bit stupid asking this but here goes anyway.
Even though I did not arrive at PE4 yet, I started including some arch-up-type work upon recommendation by my weightlifting coach. I started working up through the mastery template, have been super conservative with increasing sets/reps. I don't feel like it is impacting my recovery or overall training and as a nice side-effect, my back feels much better. I have two questions though that I wasn't able to answer myself using the forums and the course library (I was also looking around the interwebz but I usually trust the info given around here much more).

The first one is terminology-related and might appear a bit silly: Is there a difference between arch-ups, back-extensions and hyperextensions? I mostly feel like these can be used interchangeably, but I want to be crystal clear.

Second, how much glute and hamstring activation should I get in the arch-up? Should I aim to move only/as much as possible through the spinal erectors or should (so to speak) all the muscles on my backside be working? I am especially curious about glute activation and its influence on arching from the lower back.

Hope my questions make some sense, all answers and input are highly appreciated.

 

Kind regards

Leo

Bas Albinus

I'm not sure about the terminology, so anybody who is please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that "arch ups" is a name for an exercise like "sit ups" is. Back extension and hyper extension refer to the spinal extension during this exercise, with hyper extension being the upper/max. range of possible extension. Don't know where one ends and the other starts, but a physio therapy/anatomy website should be good source to find closure.
Regarding your second question, and again GB folk correct me if I'm wrong, but I found I get the most out of this exercise if I engage the full posterior chain: toes pointed, knees locked, hamstrings and glutes fully engaged.
The tricky part for me is trying to keep the ribs in/down while working to get that maximum thoracic extension with hands by my head and elbows behind the ears. I'm still too stiff to feel good throughout the motion. 
I suggest though not to "arch from the lower back" as you call it. While not exactly sure what you are referring to, it reminds me of what I am doing when I don't keep my ribcage in: All the load gets dumped in my lower back...and that somehow doesn't feel right.   
 

Everett Carroll

Hi Leo,

Relating to the terminology, Arch-up is the only foundational exercise of the three you named. Back extensions and back hyperextensions might be similar exercises or terms to describe the motion/movement type, but those are not in your Foundation programming. 

During arch-ups, you want your legs to be locked and glutes to be firmly engaged. Keeping your glutes engaged will protect your lower back. 

We don't recommend training these until you have mastered the previous progressions. Working on more advanced mobility progressions is fine, but we never recommend training more advanced strength progressions until all previous have been mastered. 

Leonhard Krahé

Thanks Bas and Everett!

I know that there is no exercise in Foundation that is called hyperextensions but I was confused if those terms do or do not describe the same exercise.

2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

During arch-ups, you want your legs to be locked and glutes to be firmly engaged. Keeping your glutes engaged will protect your lower back. 

This is gold, especially the second part. Part of the reason I was asking in the first place is that somebody tried to convince me of the opposite and it just did not make sense to me.

Bas Albinus

Gruesse nach Koeln in meine Heimatstadt! ;) 

Leonhard Krahé
9 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

Gruesse nach Koeln in meine Heimatstadt! ;) 

Danke und schöne Grüße zurück :)

Michael Peachey 213668

Extension = direction of movement

 

Hyperextension = when you extend past normal range of extension movement

 

Arch-Up = the name of an exercise

 

To put it in context - when doing an arch-up you are completing extension in the concentric (lifting) phase, if you push past your normal range of movement you're moving into hyper-exytension

Bas Albinus
10 hours ago, Michael Peachey 213668 said:

To put it in context - when doing an arch-up you are completing extension in the concentric (lifting) phase, if you push past your normal range of movement you're moving into hyper-exytension

Looking at some physio illustrations I figured that extension is the negative movement out of flexion back to neutral, while any extension past neutral is hyper extension.

Michael Peachey 213668

Close - even past neutral it's still just considered plain old extension (I'm a physio btw)

Bas Albinus
On 6/5/2017 at 7:21 PM, Michael Peachey 213668 said:

Close - even past neutral it's still just considered plain old extension (I'm a physio btw)

Nice, suppose you're the right person to clarify this.  So by definition applicable for any human, where does "normal range of motion" for spinal extension end = extension become hyperextension?

 

On 5/25/2017 at 10:49 PM, Bas Albinus said:

past your normal range of movement you're moving into hyper-exytension