This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE5>IM form check

Started by Francisco Garcia, May 20, 2017 · 1 Replies · 42 Views

Francisco Garcia

Hi, I was hoping to get pointers on my HS PE5>IM form.  I've been stuck on this progression for months (though It has gotten better).  I know that you are supposed to have the hands just past shoulder width.  Is that strictly necessary?  I'm going to be here a very long time if so.    Also, what weight do you need to progress?  I am using an 8lb bar but I think I remember seeing we should be using 20lbs??  

Are there other exercises you can suggest to accelerate shoulder mobility for the dislocates?  Or is it just a question of doing more dislocates?  Also, should I alternate between adding/reducing weight and widening/shortening grip?

Thanks in advance!

 

Jon Douglas

Hi mate,

The grip we want here is shoulder width + 1 hands width, or thereabouts. If you hold the stick in front of your hips, line up your thumbs or the inner side of your hand with the outside of your delts (ish is fine).

8lb is fine for working up. 20lb is a good goal. Around 7kg at this width (i guess that's about 20lb?) will be sufficient.

In terms of progressing it, work the grip in at a given weight, then increase the weight and start over. Don't chase numbers :) (from experience) just worry about the smoothness of the arc and the shoulder rotation.

It is pretty much a case of doing more dislocates :) ensure a good warmup and moving through things like rotations into bridge, scap shrugs, hs shrugs, and stiff leg windmills with the arm twist can help prep everything for these. The best use I know for a foam roller, getting that irritating t-spine spot, also helps.

This video looks fine. Keep on trucking with it and your shoulders/upper back will thank you.