This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS PE1>IM Form Check

Started by Francisco Garcia, May 20, 2017 · 8 Replies · 159 Views

Francisco Garcia

Hi, I would appreciate suggestions for my pHS PE1>IM form.  I've read in a couple of the postings that my hips are supposed to get to feet level.  Is that strictly required in order to progress?  If so, do I need a different set-up?  I don't understand the body mechanics.

 

 

Jon Douglas

Hi mate,

Looking really good on these. To get your hips lower you'd likely need to move your feet a rung higher, closer to your hands. This requires a certain amount of bracing and balance; after a while it feels like you are literally standing on the bars perpendicular to the floor, because the pressure of your hand feels almost like gravity :)

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Francisco, remember to change grip to supinated (you can clearly see this detail of the course video).

Francisco Garcia

Hi, is this sufficient depth for the inverted pike hang?

I can go deeper, as in this picture, but I feel very unstable and would rather not go this deep

IMG_3940.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

If you can hold the position for all the required time with locked knee, then you can move forward.

Francisco Garcia
On 8/14/2017 at 0:07 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

If you can hold the position for all the required time with locked knee, then you can move forward.

Thanks Alessandro!  Do you mean the position I held in the video is sufficient?  That was not as deep as the the one in the photo.  I would be much closer to being able to hold it for the required time if the video depth is sufficient.

Btw, can I use wrist straps for this exercise?  I feel I don't have the grip strength to hold the very deep position and the wraps would certainly boost my confidence, if nothing else.

 

Suzanna McGee
31 minutes ago, Francisco Garcia said:

I feel I don't have the grip strength to hold the very deep position

The strength will come… That was my big issue as well. It's getting better, but still, in some stall bars mobility things, I think I could do much much much better if my grips were stronger. 

Francisco Garcia

Hi @Alessandro Mainente , I ended up trying this with wrist straps and it does seem to make it easier (or at least safer).  I feel as though I can hold indefinitely with the wraps.  Is it ok to use them?  

 

Alessandro Mainente

Since the primary goal, it is the posterior chain stretch it should be ok. If you are weak I still suggest to work with natural grip and use the wraps only on the last set if necessary.