This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rebooting my foundation training

Started by Kasper Ellefsen Ellefsen, May 20, 2017 · 2 Replies · 208 Views

Kasper Ellefsen Ellefsen

Hi

I've decided to reboot my foundation training, as my basics are in sore need of some attention. I have a nagging left shoulder (tension in the traps/scalenes) and both of them really need a mobility upgrade. My pec minor is tight! I am fairly strong in both pushing and pulling movements from a non GST perspective, but I believe my rotator cuff to be severly lacking. Any movement where I am not properly tucking my elbows and hence using the bigger muscle groups to stabelize my rotator cuff, cause a significant drop in performance.
I will also continue to work on my lower body strength and mobility, but that seems to be progressing steadily, so I will just continue with ease and let the process do its job. 

My main mobility goals for my shoulders are:
-A decent back bridge.
-The ability the comfortable lower into a deep (!) german hang (IE: with shoulders relaxed and retracted at the bottom).

Will also be working on improving the pike and middle split.

My plan:

  1. As I have a sedentary desk job I plan to have a daily mobilisation routine to keep my body limber and avoid having it tense up to much in between the training sessions.
  2. I will vow to ensure I get enough quality sleep, and reduce my intake of caffine. This will be hard, as I really do love my black liquid gold.
  3. I plan to split my workouts into one day of HBP, RC and sPL, and one day of SLS,FL, SL and MN.
  4. HBP(PE2)&RC(PE2):Even though I have reached mastery more than once before, I plan to start out on  basic push-ups and incline rows. I will however force myself to extend the elbow at about a 45 degrees angle out from my body to ensure I do not "lock" my upper arms on to my lats.
  5. sPL(PE5):Considering my planche work, I will do scapular push ups as part of my warmup as I find these a fantastic tool to get my shoulders prepeared. The progression I plan to follow is the planche lean, focusing on ensuring proper external rotation of the shoulder (elbows forward) before I lean too much.
  6. FL(PE2): I have previously done a lot of hollow work, but as my current endurance is lacking I intent on starting on tuck hollow rocks to force myself to regain it.
  7. SL(PE4): Arch up will be the starting point here. I am currently able to perform the mastery sets, but I do however feel I still have more to gain from the exercise before I progress.
  8. MN(PE2): Straddle up and jeffersons!  The straddle position really seems to target a weak position for my hip flexors, and the jefferson curl is amazing for my pike mobility.
  9. SLS(SE4):  I can do multiple ass to grass single leg squats, but my hamstring strength is not yet prepeared to rep out full glute ham raises (Have been able to do 1-2 reps). Hence I will work on the neutral version.

Questions:

  1. Does my plan seem sound? Any and all tips or recommendations are highly appreciated.
  2. I wish to implement some extra mobility work for my shoulder extension and flexion. Can this be done after my upper body work (HBP, RC & sPL) or will I do more harm than good? 
  3. What frequency of strength work and mobility would be adviced? I have a fairly high recovery rate, though I do not wish to aggravate my shoulders tensing them up even further.

 

Thanks in advance for anyone leaving their feedback. This thread is partly made as a reminder to myself to be humble and put in the work, and partly to reach out for guidance of those who have a far more experiance and qualifications. 

Cheers

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Kasper,

It's great to hear that you are getting back to your Foundation Training. It looks like you have some great goals. I would recommend that you submit several form checks as you go through your training. Submitting a form check as you start each exercise as well as before to the next progression will help you to make the best out of your training.

You are welcome to do some extra mobility work mobility work. Doing mobility after your workout is a great idea as your muscles will already be warm. I would recommend revisiting mobility exercises from previous progressions. Refining basics is always a good idea.

I recommend doing each workout one time per week as you start out. Once you are back in the swing of things you are welcome to adjust your schedule and do each workout multiple times per week. Make sure that you listen to your body. Do not push too hard too fast.

Leo Trinidad

Hi Kasper,

I completely agree with Jeffrey. Restarting your Foundations will really help with your progress. From experience this is the best thing I did in order to break all plateaus. Making sure refining every bit of detail from the start. Keep us posted with your progress. :)