This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout lenght

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, May 20, 2017 · 7 Replies · 145 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

I was told that the time I take to complete H1 + H2 workouts (50 mins w/o warmup) has room for improvement, and I think that driver of that could be wrist PEs.

I usually do 5 sets of 5 reps of each of the 4 wrist PEs resting 10 secs between each set.

Should I do no rest at all between wrist sets?

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

As I could understand, a workout can be too long?

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Etienne,

I heard that HS workouts (inc. H2) range from 20-30 mins or so, and since I was doing it at 50, just wanted to check how could I lower my time

Étienne Lajeunesse

 

1 hour ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Hi Etienne,

I heard that HS workouts (inc. H2) range from 20-30 mins or so, and since I was doing it at 50, just wanted to check how could I lower my time

Well, for your handstand and press handstand progressions, you sure need to do them without any rest since iM are for this.  

For the wrists exercises, I take just enough break to say I took one.  So, it could last 10-15 seconds before starting another set.  I try to compress my break times as much as I can. 

However, I was also asking the question because 1 workout could last up to 2 hours for me.  Starting from warm-up to cool down -including cardio- and I usually take 2 workouts or 3 (either foudation 7 or handstand + stretch + movement...).  I am wondering if, this, is too long?

 

Jon Douglas

You do not need to rush HS or pHS skill work. Rest as necessary. I pretty much go between the two at a fairly lazy pace and is the time I'm allowed to search for a song on my ipod :)

For wrists, where are you in the progressions? Right now I am doing a giant set of 10 each, in the kneeling pushup variant (because I find it the best controlled stretch), and just bang out the 30 pushups at a steady cadence with hand shifts until the wrist rockers (which change my position a little). Obviously this is after you've established good ROM and condition in your wrists, but I now do these every training day and never have wrist issues. Once you have built a base of work it is preferable to streamline and up frequency (compare this to the warmup sets of Foundation elements before Rings).

In regards to overall time per workout I get out in about an hour from both my upper+core and my lower+hs+phs. I add stretching after the latter workout for around another 45 mins. 

If you are improving and you like 2 hr workouts with the addition of cardio and whatnot there's no real issue I guess. It would feel lengthy to me though, at the volume I'm working.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks for your answers. For me not too long because you are doing more workouts plus stretch. If I do skill (hs phs) I do not warmup much, and cool down as usual 10 mins.

I dont do cardio as in running or rope jumping, but do SLS PE 6 and FL PE 1.

thats seems similar times as I have Jon so good. Of course if I do like you On the wrists I would injure myself lol. I am at PE2-3 and SE2 on rocks. But will do that when I reach that level! Been doing that 7 months or so

Étienne Lajeunesse
2 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

If you are improving and you like 2 hr workouts with the addition of cardio and whatnot there's no real issue I guess. It would feel lengthy to me though, at the volume I'm working.

Sometimes it feels heavy, but I don't like doing less, it feels like incomplete.  It's probably psychological.

Jon Douglas

As long as it's working there's no real need to overanalyse it :)