When stretching the right calve with a straight leg, I get a strange sharp shooting pain down the outer edge of the heel. Almost a tingly sensation. As I ease into the stretch, the pain disappears. Also, if I rub back and forth on the outside of my heel, i can trigger the pain. It's as if some piece of connective tissue is pulling loose from my heel... but dont feel the pain in the actual Achilles. Its just on the outer edge of the achilles/heel. Any idea what this is?
Mysterious Heel Pain
Started by Gregory Mueller, May 20, 2017 · 4 Replies · 2,080 Views
Hi Gregory,
Pain is never a good sign and you should definitely not stretch through pain. I would highly recommend to see a physio or other medical professional. They will be able to give you a diagnosis.
See a physical therapist/physiotherapist; from what you have described, you MAY be pulling on the sural nerve - the straight leg gives a clue here. A PT can test you, and examine you for other causes.
The ones I've seen can't diagnose it. The pain is fleeting.... After the initial tingle it goes away.
Try some nerve flossing exercises. There is loads on the Internet with testing techniques and appropriate exercises for each of the main nerves in the legs. Worth a go?!?