This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand - Beginner/Intermediate/Sets/Reps/Equipment?

Started by Tertius Carstens, May 18, 2017 · 6 Replies · 140 Views

Tertius Carstens

So I just started today with the suggested schedule (Foundation, movement, stretch, handstand) shifted by one day since Saturdays are my rest day.

I landed on the handstand as my first day.

Here are my questions:

  1. There are three sections: Warmup, beginner, intermediate. Which should I do? (I did warmup and beginner).
    1. I don't have the equipment for intermediate and I didn't get any instruction on what equipment to buy/have to start with.
  2. There are sets/reps and what I assume seconds. So 3/12s means 3 reps of 12 seconds?
    1. What's the rest time in between sets? From weightlifting (my experience) it really varies depending on how you're lifting. I assume 30 seconds, but the first day was easy so I went with 10.
    2. Is the video example an example of one rep or one set? They look like reps to me, since it's the same over and over, but this wasn't clear.

The video instruction is probably the worst compared to fundamentals since there is no one telling you what to do, but I'm assuming I just landed on the "worst" one the day that I started and that fundamentals and stretch is not like that.

Everett Carroll

Hi Tertius,

Thanks for reaching out. 

-Each day you train your handstand workout, you want to complete the warm-up, beginner, and intermediate sections. 

-The best substitution for the stall bar stretches from the intermediate section of your workout is a safely secured ladder or two barbells on a weight rack. You can find specifics on at-home alternatives other students have used within this subsection of the forum (Handstand Two).

-You are understanding the sets and reps/seconds correctly. 

-For your handstand and movement workouts, you should rest as needed to feel recovered enough for the next set. This is because both are skill oriented courses, where proper technical execution is the focus. Avoid resting excessively; recover just long enough to have energy for the next set. 

-To be sure it's clear, you are rotating through the two exercises shown in each section. For example, during the intermediate section of your workout, you will perform the plank press, followed by the inverted pike pull, and repeat for the number of sets shown in your exercise details.

-The recovery protocol is slightly different for your Foundation workouts, but the follow along workouts will make that crystal clear. More information on programming, rest, and exercise notation can be found in the introduction section of your courses: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/intro 

-The intro articles will guide you through how to properly train your movement workout, which differs slightly. 

-The video examples are demonstrating proper form. Look to your workout details for how long to hold each position or how many repetitions you should perform. 

I hope this helps make your movement and handstand workouts more clear. Take a look at the introductory articles for each course and, if questions still remain, just let us know. We're always here to help. 

Tertius Carstens

Just as a sidenote, I'm doing handstand 1, not 2.

Everett Carroll

Hey Tertius,

Handstand Two is the intermediate (press handstand) section of your handstand workout. Ideally, you will train all of the sections, which is H1 and H2 combined. 

Tertius Carstens

Ah, so I did buy H1 (beginner?) and H2 (intermediate?). So I'm doing them at the same time?

For movement (which I'm doing today), the text says "Difficulty: Select difficulty and complete all exercises for that level" showing beginner/intermediate and advanced.

And just to be 100% clear on the videos (on handstand): There are hand exercises where you are pushing against the wall. The video shows you doing it three times. Is that three reps or one?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes you can do them simultaneously.

I do not understand the last question.

Benjamin Nutt
On 5/19/2017 at 3:27 PM, Tertius Carstens said:

Ah, so I did buy H1 (beginner?) and H2 (intermediate?). So I'm doing them at the same time?

For movement (which I'm doing today), the text says "Difficulty: Select difficulty and complete all exercises for that level" showing beginner/intermediate and advanced.

And just to be 100% clear on the videos (on handstand): There are hand exercises where you are pushing against the wall. The video shows you doing it three times. Is that three reps or one?

That's three reps, Tertius.