This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Imbalances Galore

Started by Brian Sparks, May 16, 2017 · 4 Replies · 132 Views

Brian Sparks

Hi all,

Excited to start the journey with everyone here; looks to be a fantastic community. I have F1, likely to purchase H1 and (replace another company's online program with) Stretch. 

As such, noticed some marked imbalances already. Namely I have strong/tight legs from years of running/squats. I can do pistols, but form is likely not ideal. While so far the lower body F1 exercises have been very easy, I know that postural issues will be coming up soon and am excited to be challenging my ROM. 

Upper back is stronger from 1 year of (now intelligently before injuring myself, retired) Crossfit, though feel it further imbalanced me from a weaker lower back. Add to that my years of focus on the abdominals instead of lower back - think lots of crunches, as well as sitting (school, job).  

Doesn't seem my situation is terribly unique. I was drawn to this program as the training experience and philosophy are intuitively and rationally sound: rehabilitate imbalances instead of exacerbating old ones through the ruse of "getting stronger in my areas of strength." I'm tired of ignoring my weaknesses in lieu of a little extra PR in my domains of traditional interest.  

Excited to be approaching the awesome work involved in rebuilding the lower back along with my entire body. I suppose my only question is that, knowing my lower back is tight should I go ahead and work the program per Coach's recommendations regardless? Or should I give it some extra attention? I suppose all body areas will show areas of needed work eventually anyways... I'm excited to discover new avenues of opportunity. Thanks for any insights ahead of time.

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Brian,

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the GymnasticBodies community!

Handstand One and Stretch series would be great additions to your current F1 training. These are all part of Coach Sommer's recommended schedule.

You should definitely pay attention to your low back. As long as you don't push through pain I think you will be fine following Coach's schedule. Many students have found the Stretch series, especially the Front Split series worked wonders for the low back. The strength exercises in F1 will also strengthen this area. However, if you do experience pain I would strongly suggest to seek advice from a physio or other medical professional before starting any courses. 

Feel free to reach out again if you have other questions :) 

Brian Sparks

Suffice it to say I could do daily limbering work, sub-full routine stretching in the AM and off days, without terribly affecting the recommended routine? 

Thanks again!

Luke Searra

Hello Brian, yes you absolutely could do sub-full routine stretching in the AM and off days, without terribly affecting the recommended routine. Pay attention to your body here, and calibrate as your body needs please. If you run into any hiccups let us know.

Brian Sparks

Thanks this is all very helpful. As they say, I want to steer this warship as correctly as possible, not get too off course for too long.