This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Looking for scap depression & retraction strength & mobility exercises

Started by Joss Delage, May 16, 2017 · 9 Replies · 214 Views

Joss Delage

All - I am looking for exercises to strengthen my scapular depression and, to a lesser extent, retraction. I also would like to increase the ROM in those directions. What would you recommend? I own F1, H1, and the stretching program, and I have found that some of the thoracic bridge movements seem to help. However, I'm looking for something lower impact that I can do more often.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Joss, the Foundations 1 program along with the development of the RC progression develops the necessary scapulae control on both depression and retraction, also the weighted mobility at the beginning of H1 works pretty well for your goal.

The retraction and depression are reached by muscles exactly like other joint movements, doing them often do not consist the correct approach. let the muscles to work, recovery and adapt.

Joss Delage

Hi - thanks. Can you be more specific on the exercises? I'm doing F1 and Right now I find I need to work on those areas more. Maybe there are exercises I need to go back or jump ahead to, and add to my normal progression.

The "more often" refers to the thoracic bridge movements, which I only do once a week. 

Alessandro Mainente

Sorry, Joss but based on what you are saying that you need more strength retraction? the only reasonable case it is if you have the flared out scapulae syndrome.

Joss Delage

Please, just assume I know my situation. If you have nothing to contribute, it's perfectly OK not to participate to the thread.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Joss Delage,

What worked for me was a lot of shrugs, cat cow, table, table rock, windmill, and all the mobility in RC found in F1. I highly recommend purchasing Handstand Two that will increase overall scap strength and mobility. 

Joss Delage

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm still at the beginning of F1 and HS1.

Garrick Sevilla

@Joss Delage I have a nightly routine where I do 2x15r of shrugs in various positions: plank (i.e. sPL/PE1), dip support, overhand hang, and handstand.  I also throw in some Bulgarian rows from the incline row position, which for me, activate the scapular retractors nicely.  A less intense version might be scap rows from the incline position keeping arms straight.

Leo Trinidad

very nice @Garrick Sevilla :)

Garrick Sevilla

Thanks @Leo Trinidad.  Still trying to catch up to where you were when we met in Oct '15.   I think I need another year!  Fixing my shoulder and hip mobility has been a very slow but rewarding process.  I learn something new every day!