Cost for some home-made parallel bars

Started by Rampage, February 23, 2010 · 8 Replies · 6,236 Views

Rampage

Hey how much would some PB like the ones slizzardman has would cost? I can't make ones like the ones I had back home, buried in the ground, so I was looking to do ones just like slizzardman's.

Joshua Naterman

Cost me less than 15 bucks!

Rampage
slizzardman said:
Cost me less than 15 bucks!

Less than 15 bucks? Are you serious!?

I really need to make ones just like those, and fast, because this ring-setup thing is getting ridiculous, I haven't put them yet!

Supposedly we have all we need "ready", and today we were going to drill the nails in the ceiling to set the whole thing, but the guy who was going to do it (since the nails are very big and you supposedly need something else) didn't come, we'll see if we set them up tomorrow.

I'm sick and tired of having them hanging on the door frame pullup bar, I can't do anything like that. I really miss doing dips.

Could you please give me some instructions on how to make those bars?

Joshua Naterman

buy one 10 foot piece of 1.5" schedule 40 pvc. That'll cost around 5 bucks, tops. You'll need four elbows and four t-joints, those should each be under two dollars. FInally, you'll need glue. If you have a hack saw, that's great, but you can cut pvc just fine with dental floss. Use it like a saw, the friction heat will melt right through the plastic!

edit: I suppose that could cost up to 25 bucks, depending on what local prices are. My pipe was free! I found a store being torn down and took an old piece of pvc. They will just trash it anyhow. You'd be surprised how often you see pipe laying around in the trash.

Rampage
slizzardman said:
buy one 10 foot piece of 1.5" schedule 40 pvc. That'll cost around 5 bucks, tops. You'll need four elbows and four t-joints, those should each be under two dollars. FInally, you'll need glue. If you have a hack saw, that's great, but you can cut pvc just fine with dental floss. Use it like a saw, the friction heat will melt right through the plastic!

edit: I suppose that could cost up to 25 bucks, depending on what local prices are. My pipe was free! I found a store being torn down and took an old piece of pvc. They will just trash it anyhow. You'd be surprised how often you see pipe laying around in the trash.

But aren't your 5ft parallel bars made of iron, not pvc?

Joshua Naterman

Oops! Mine cost me 120. I think you can do better by only using metal for the bar itself, and making a wooden base. You could buy two 4x10's, make four 5 foot uprights, and use 2x4's to make the footpads and horizontal braces. You'd need to bring a saw and a measuring tape with you to cut the pipe and the wood when you buy it unless you have a big truck.

Rampage
slizzardman said:
Oops! Mine cost me 120.

:? I knew it was too good to be true; less than 15 bucks for some parallel bars like that? Forget about it.

You got confused with the wooden paralletes right?

Joshua Naterman

Somehow, I thought you said paralletes. I plead extreme exhaustion, and a lack of gummie bears. They should have been bouncing here and there and everywhere, but they were nowhere to be found.

Rampage
slizzardman said:
Somehow, I thought you said paralletes. I plead extreme exhaustion, and a lack of gummie bears. They should have been bouncing here and there and everywhere, but they were nowhere to be found.

Haha that's ok, and now I said "wooden" paralletes when they are made of pvc.