This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My half year of GST journey

Started by Chris Harvey, May 15, 2017 · 3 Replies · 201 Views

Chris Harvey

Hi all, I want to share my almost half year GST journey. My gains and mistake.

Before I start GST, I have some street workout background, I can do 1 rep of one arm pull up. But my right shoulders, has something quite wrong, it is unstable. It is diagnosis as winging scapula, and partial tear in suprespinatus tendon, some ligaments, and bursa. 

It make me really weak at generating pushing force in shoulder. Treatment have some what improve it, but I am not satisfied, that`s why I find GST.

After nearly helf year of GST, I have some improvement:

1. My very undeveloped right rear delts, increase in size and give me more stable shoulder.

2. My winging scapula has been improved, I am able to perform HBP/PE1 without much winging. The shoulder stay in position without shrugging. I feel my ligaments and tendons of shoulder is strengthened. When I start GST, my right scapula retract too much and wing a lot.

3. My core, become stronger, my obliques are more visible. The mind-muscle connection is better, I learn to squeeze the muscle.

4.  My horizontal pull become stronger. I was very weak when I start.

5. My right sarratus anterior seems stronger, and I have better control to it. Thanks to sPL PE1

6. When I perform some pull up, I notice I can pull higher than before. The muscle activation is better.

6. I learn a lot about my body, thats too much for me to share it here:).

However, I think I have some problem.

1. I am skipping tons of stretching. Because I am not discipline enough, plus I think stretching is boring, and sometimes painful. I think some moves are not suitable for me, it makes me painful.

2. I brought handstand course and I have not start

3. My right shoulder problem, is far from being solved. I doubt if It can be solved:(

free feel to leave your comment

 

Christopher Haddock

Nice work!  When I read about your continued issues and also that you skip mobility work...it makes me scratch my head.  Why skip the parts most likely to help you reduce your problems?  Sure stretching can be uncomfortable, but it is extremely helpful. 

 

Everett Carroll

Thanks for sharing Chris! You are making excellent progress.

It is time to get motivated for some stretching and handstand training, however. Both of those aspects of your training a crucial for long-term success and, like Christopher said, have the greatest potential to help your overall progress and specific issues.

There is no better time to start than now, so commit to stretching this week. You're doing great, and you have recognized where you can improve, which means it's now time to get after it. Training is not always glamorous, but the end results sure are.

Joshua Hibbert

Interesting topic,  I have been doing GST ,the foundation course and front split for around 6 months,  I missed a couple months of foundation due to an injury (climbing related). But have found a lot of the benefits you describe.  It's definitely the best over all body condition I have been in ever.

 

My biggest limitation is my mobility, I couldn't reach my ankles when piked but with the stretch series I can now comfortably touch the floor.  I have just added the middle split and bridge series and look forward to where it will take me.  If you keep your discipline you will see progress.

 

I think something that has helped me keep motivated is that I started climbing at around the same time as GST which gives me the ability to measure my progress to some degree.