This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mn pe1 and pe2

Started by Valerie Morwood, May 15, 2017 · 8 Replies · 118 Views

Valerie Morwood

Good Morning,

i need some help with MN pe2. I feel very comfortable with mn pe1. I have included videos in case maybe I'm not doing it as well as I think. However, I can't even do a single rep for mn pe2. I can't seem to keep my legs straight, and when I attempt, my quads and TFL feel really tight. It feels impossible to widen my legs, and I feel a clunk in my lowest lumbar/sacral area when I attempt mm pe2. I think I have a combination of strength and mobility deficits. It feels like I am making no progress to being able to do pe2 by doing mn pe1. I would appreciate any advice.

mnpe1 video:

mn pe2 attempt video:

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Valerie,

Your tuck ups are looking good but I do recommend revisiting PE1 to work some minor kinks out of your iM. You want to ensure that your legs remain completely straight during windmills. Engage your quads the entire time to ensure your knees stay locked.

Also, ensure that you turn your opposite foot out 90-degrees. If the weight is in your left hand, your left foot points forward and your right turns out 90-degrees. This will help you practice keeping your legs engaged and straight during straddle ups. 

The middle split stretch series is specific to straddle ups as well, so I highly recommend that series if you are not already doing it. Please post a follow-up video of your improved MN/PE1>iM form when you have those adjustments down. 

Valerie Morwood

Thanks for the recommendations. I do have all the split series and have made lots of mobility progress in the past 4 months since I started, but lacking in the abduction. I spend some time working on my mobility then follow up.

Valerie Morwood

Is it ok to start incorporating the pe2 mobility (Jefferson curls) at this stage? Or should I wait until I can actually do a straddle up?

Everett Carroll

Hey Valerie,

You can begin Jefferson Curls now. A single set of 10 in your warmup or 5 before and 5 after your core workout will be plenty for now. Make sure the weight feels easy and stick with that same weight for 12 weeks before increasing. 

Valerie Morwood

I've been really working on my straddle ups over the past 2 months. I think I can actually do them with ok form. I realize I still need to work on them, and I would appreciate input.

 

Pauline Taube

Nice improvement on your straddle ups, Valerie. Make sure you lock your knees and point your toes on these. Keep working on the compression in the top position. Try to keep your chest up tall. 

The Jefferson curls are looking pretty good. You  want to keep your knees locked here as well. On the descend work on curling one vertebrae at the time, starting from your neck through your upper back, mid back and lower back before relaxing in the bottom position. As you curl up squize your glutes and reverse the movement. Start curling up from the low back through the mid back, upper back and neck :) 

Valerie Morwood

Pauline, thanks for your tips.  You answered my unasked question. I was wondering if I need to squeeze my glutes as I reverse to stand up.

Ryan Bailey

Good progress Valerie!