This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Once a Week?

Started by Neil Strickland, May 14, 2017 · 21 Replies · 1,615 Views

Neil Strickland

OK, I started months ago right out the gate trying to do 7 progressions 6 days a week.  This was about 4 times a week half the time . . . I wasn't logging regularly, and ignoring the stretching.  So, surprise, I  didn't see nay progress.

I have gone back and am following Coach Sommer's outline (bought the hand stand and movement courses) and following it as closely as I can (sometimes a particular exercise is moved to a different day depending on my location and what is available "equipment" wise).

So, really, follow this, eat a good diet and I should progress?  just once a week on these elements?  Or is this supposed to be supplemental to other training?  I do want to focus on doing things right with consistency before adding anything else, obviously.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Nell, there is an important fact: people at the beginning do not need too much frequency and also in the future 2 times a week it is enough. a lot of my clients reached the levers, the one arm pullup and more with only 2 days a week training.

Follow Coach Sommer's advice, for now, there is all the time for future adjustment.

waler white
On 5/14/2017 at 11:46 AM, Neil Strickland said:

OK, I started months ago right out the gate trying to do 7 progressions 6 days a week.  This was about 4 times a week half the time . . . I wasn't logging regularly, and ignoring the stretching.  So, surprise, I  didn't see nay progress.

I have gone back and am following Sommer's outline (bought the hand stand and movement courses) and following it as closely as I can (sometimes a particular exercise is moved to a different day depending on my location and what is available "equipment" wise).

So, really, follow this, eat a good diet and I should progress?  just once a week on these elements?  Or is this supposed to be supplemental to other training?  I do want to focus on doing things right with consistency before adding anything else, obviously.

I assuming you are beginner level. Beginners do not need much frequency to progress. Overtraining can be a serious problem and hinder all progress.  Strength training 6x a week is usually only effectively used by advanced or elite level and generally should not be used by beginners.  Also generally it takes a few months to actually get stonger, if you are jumping from progression to progression its probaly becuase of neurological efficency. Creatine will help your recovery time. 

Neil Strickland

Alessandro, Is there a way of gauging when I should look into doubling my current work?  I am eager to progress, not "do more" for the sake for doing more.  I can wait, but if there is a way of doing more, the better!

Waler, I'll look into picking up creatine again - it's been a while.  To this programing, yes I am a beginner.  I am not a beginner athlete (a few years coaching and doing crossfit, rock climbing, etc).

Thank you both for your replies.  I will stay consistent and keep with just the once a week plan, but if either of you have an idea of how I might know when it would be beneficial to increase my trainmen (even if that's years from now), I'd appreciate any insight.

Alessandro Mainente

If you are a beginner of GST then follow Coach's suggestion, if you see a stall of the progress you can insert a double session of the exercise where you feel some problems.

Michael Stanwyck

I have been following the foundation and handstand courses now for a while. I used to spread upper, lower, and core over three days. Now I do them all on one day and handstand on another (I do other training on the other days).

Is this sufficient? I'm continuing to progress, so I'm not asking for more! Just wondering if you suggest a different frequency to the training.

Alessandro Mainente

If you can still progress, yes is enough. when you begin to reach a plateau on some exercises simply add another session in the week for them.

Michael Stanwyck

Thanks!

Tiago Buhr
On 5/22/2017 at 5:01 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

If you are a beginner of GST then follow Coach's suggestion, if you see a stall of the progress you can insert a double session of the exercise where you feel some problems.

What is Coach Sommer's suggestion?

I've also just started Foundation One, and I'm wondering if I should do upper/lower/core once per week and take the other days off, or do Fundamentals in between, or stretch. I'm a bit lost here.

Alessandro Mainente

Coach Sommer suggestion is presented in the form of the schedule of your training on the course page.

Tiago Buhr

Thank you!

Ezra Richardson
On 5/15/2017 at 1:29 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Nell, there is an important fact: people at the beginning do not need too much frequency and also in the future 2 times a week it is enough. a lot of my clients reached the levers, the one arm pullup and more with only 2 days a week training.

@Alessandro Mainente You bring up an interesting point which I am curious to ask about! I have trained GB programming (F1, H1 and recently H2) for about a year now. I currently train HS 2x week, upper 2x week, core 1x week, lower 2x week, and do all three stretch courses on given days as well. I have hit plateaus in upper body and HS training, and if I am correct you are suggesting adding another session to one of these areas per week to overcome that plateau? 

Thanks!!

Trace Taylor

I just want to say how wonderful this program is... I began almost a month ago and it took me 3 weeks to figure the front split  was a quad stretch at the end!!! Also front split the first week I did more than once because it was healing something.

My question is what to do when travelling and uncertain of how to fit schedule in. I have been following the schedule and have  almost finished fundamentals. 

Thank you SO MUCH for offering the monthly. 

Trace

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Ezra Richardson said:

@Alessandro Mainente You bring up an interesting point which I am curious to ask about! I have trained GB programming (F1, H1 and recently H2) for about a year now. I currently train HS 2x week, upper 2x week, core 1x week, lower 2x week, and do all three stretch courses on given days as well. I have hit plateaus in upper body and HS training, and if I am correct you are suggesting adding another session to one of these areas per week to overcome that plateau? 

Thanks!!

The necessity of adding another session depends on how many strategies you used to overcome the plateau because increasing frequency is the last one solution. also the handstand plateau you need to recognize if the problem is a mobility issue or technical issue.

Ezra Richardson
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The necessity of adding another session depends on how many strategies you used to overcome the plateau because increasing frequency is the last one solution. also the handstand plateau you need to recognize if the problem is a mobility issue or technical issue.

Thank you for the response! I am glad to hear that increasing frequency is a last resort solution, as I can't see myself enjoying cramming another session into the week. The plateau is likely related to mobility, which movements would you suggest I test to therefore determine if it is mobility? and I am not quite sure what you mean by technical...as in frequency/volume/intensity?

Alessandro Mainente

Well for handstand technical can be some details like head positioning, kick into the handstand etc.

Where are you struggling on handstand?

Ezra Richardson
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Well for handstand technical can be some details like head positioning, kick into the handstand etc.

Where are you struggling on handstand?

I am currently training H1 PE3 step3 2x week. I understand what you mean now! Perhaps you are correct! Here are recent photos of my training! 

IMG_0931.PNG

IMG_0912.PNG

Alessandro Mainente

You should progress faster because your line is good.

BUT i can see the tendency of falling into the side. probably some tightness in your right abs.

Benjamin Nutt
On 4/11/2018 at 2:14 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The necessity of adding another session depends on how many strategies you used to overcome the plateau because increasing frequency is the last one solution

 

@Alessandro Mainente , can you please elaborate on this? If increasing frequency is the last solution, what should precede it?

Alessandro Mainente

Sleep better or more, eat better, increase volume (I mean one set at the end of the prescribed set), manipulate the tempo, manipulate the rest period, manipulate the range of motion, consider to use some isolation exercise, reduces passive tension before strength work. 

all of them are strategies. no one of them acts on the week frequency.

Benjamin Nutt
16 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Sleep better or more, eat better, increase volume (I mean one set at the end of the prescribed set), manipulate the tempo, manipulate the rest period, manipulate the range of motion, consider to use some isolation exercise, reduces passive tension before strength work. 

all of them are strategies. no one of them acts on the week frequency.

Thanks as always, Alessandro. I've been struggling with my SL PE4 and RC PE2 for a while now - I'm going to start adding an extra set to each of these movements and see where it takes me.

Callum Muntz
13 hours ago, Benjamin Nutt said:

Thanks as always, Alessandro. I've been struggling with my SL PE4 and RC PE2 for a while now - I'm going to start adding an extra set to each of these movements and see where it takes me.

To chime in, what I did for a little bit (that worked for me for a while) was train every element in each session (similar to F7) but if it was a upper body day, then all the core elements would be at 50% volume and vice versa.